Featured Jasperware Wedgwood? Pink Pin Dish

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Slykitty65, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Slykitty65

Slykitty65 Active Member

Found this small 3 1/3" pink bisque pin tray with a Wedgwood Jasperware type design.

It's unmarked other than a slip scratch F or something on the back, no stickers or tags.

Couldn't locate the design motif of the 2 Grecian girls with staff and wreath but the scalloped edge looks like some of Wedgwoods.

Two tiny mold blemishes on the white ribbon and flute base, otherwise in great shape, no box or information from the thrift store. IMG-5253.jpg IMG-5254.jpg

Any idea as if this is Wedgewood or a knockoff maker?

Thank you for looking, comments and suggestions!

Bronwen, i need help and judy like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Not Wedgwood, not jasper. Probably Schafer und Vater. It's moulded and painted, rather than applied sprigs.

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The figures are somewhat hybrid. Basically they are participants in a bacchanale, bacchantes/maenads or nymphs. The one on the left carries a kind of staff called a thyrsus associated with the wine god Bacchus/Dionysus and her posture indicates she is dancing. Her sister plays a double flute, an instrument, along with various percussion instruments, used in the revels.

It's the wreath carried by the lead figure that is out of place and was probably picked up from Wedgwood's Dancing Hours, designed by John Flaxman.

4. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

We can't sell similar, genuine Wedgwood for $5 just now. I wouldn't get my hopes up on this one.

5. Slykitty65

Slykitty65 Active Member

Thanks, that gives me another couple of markers to look for. I do have a small collection of the Wedgewood Mother's Days plates and thought it was cute pink pin tray to add to my others in blue.

6. Slykitty65

Slykitty65 Active Member

Thank you for the great description of the design motif, I think they are gorgeous little ladies even if they are replica type wares.

Bronwen likes this.
  7. Slykitty65

Slykitty65 Active Member

Was just curious about who the maker was, didn't think it was Wedgwood since it wasn't marked like my blue Mother's Day Plates are. I lucked out with those when I got them at a thrift shop for about $5.00 though, they don't have their boxes but are stamped and marked. But I am happy with the pin tray. Thanks for the comment.

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted