Jesus Figurne

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kardinalisimo, Aug 24, 2016.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Is this an original scene or reproduction? Not sure what is the material. I don't think it is resin. It gets cold.
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cxgirl and lauragarnet like this.
  2. Robin Burns

Robin Burns New Member

its beautiful

lauragarnet likes this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Probably cultured marble...... basically, marble dust with a binder. Quite often used for museum replicas, particularly in Italy for religious statues. Looks like a real marble base it is on.

Figtree3, lauragarnet and komokwa like this.
  4. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Found a couple marked A. GIANNETTI, but my computer kept freezing to a dead stop and had to close the browser and restart, so couldn't save the links.

5. lauragarnet

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

WOW! Such emotion and feeling in yours! It's beautiful!

7. kardinalisimo

Thanks for all the replies.
    I can't really tell, is mine cast or carved?
    Verybrad, is cultured marble supposed to be hard. This one is a bit on the soft side, easy to scratch with a knife. Could it be lime stone or so?

8. lauragarnet

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't think there's any doubt that it's cast, as verybrad said.

10. kardinalisimo

In fact, it has a bit of clay touch to it.

11. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Looks like some cast material. Nice you can easily compare it to the real marble base. The heads are the clearest clue to cast liquid. Why it was put on that base and not even centered I don't know but I doubt the factory did that; perhaps that was done to keep potential buyers from noticing gas bubbles on the bottom surface, which are proof of a casting process since the rubber molds must of course be inverted when filled and while the liquid is hardening. If you doubt that just remove the base and look.

12. kardinalisimo

I believe the marble base was out later. It is glued so not sure if I'll be able to remove it. But I'll give a try.

13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Don't bother. It's meant to be there and removing it is not worth the effort.

14. springfld.arsenal

There's valuable information concealed by the marble base. That's why a previous owner glued it on intentionally off-center. He wanted a lucky, caring owner down the line to see the problem and remove the base to center it. Maybe Kardi is that person.

15. kardinalisimo

I don't mind removing the base but don't want to damage the piece. There is a small gap to slide a knife there but don't know if I'll be able to separate it from the glue or silicon. If I put it in hot soapy water, will it help?

16. springfld.arsenal

Probably

17. lauragarnet

The original is sort of kitty-corner on it's base in the museum in Florence. It's more off center than this figurine.

Draft saved Draft deleted