Jiaqing vase, authentic or fake? obviously there's a remnant of a tag on the bottom but I dont know

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Mar 30, 2021.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the sticker says (said) Made in China. Looks post war to me, the crackle looks manufactured and the colouring is a bit sloppy and lacking in artistry.

3. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Crazing looks fake

komokwa, Bakersgma and Bronwen like this.
  4. sunday silence

Yeah I was gonna say that about the crazing but Im not sure how you guys can tell. Also perhaps more troubling the mark is not really apocryphal as it appears to be an actual Jiaqing mark. The character in the lower left would have three prongs if it were apocryphal and 5 historically. So its either 300 years old or something not quite.

5. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Post war marks come in all forms, copies, apocryphal, fakes, bad copies with errors etc, so it really isn't a guide to age. The mark on this bowl looks like a typical printed example from the post war period.

To have a look what the original hand painted ones look like have a look through Alain Truong's site:

http://www.alaintruong.com/archives/2018/10/22/36805134.html

cxgirl, Potteryplease and ktesart like this.
  6. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

I don’t know anything about Chinese antiques but the crazing looks too even

7. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

With that sticker on it it has to be modern.

Tanya and Bakersgma like this.
  8. sunday silence

thanks for all the helpful comments especially the link to Truong's site, that was real interesting.

Draft saved Draft deleted