Johann Haviland China questions

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Rayo56, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I have a complete set "Blue Garland?" from Johann Haviland (Plates of all sizes and all the accessory pieces. IE: Butter Dish, Platters, Creamer and Sugar Bowl, etc.) of these and wondering:
    1) What is the silvery metal that was used to accent the edges?
    2) Is "China" the proper terminology to describe these pieces?
    3) and last but not least: Approximate date of manufacture........
    Thanks for any advise in advance........... I randomly picked this creamer out of the box for an example, all pieces have this exact pattern.

000_5427.jpg 000_5428.jpg 000_5429.jpg

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Can you post a picture that shows the blue flower decoration better? Something flat like a plate?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Just about all "silver" decorations on china are fired on platinum. Fired on silver would tarnish like most metal silver pieces.
    greg

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Replacements Ltd says the Blue Garland pattern was first issued in 1974.

Rayo56, KikoBlueEyes and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

This is a nice china pattern, but not the same quality of the older patterns.
    The silver decoration should not go in the dishwasher, which makes it a hard sell to younger women.

History of Johann Haviland China

"Johann Haviland, the grandson of David Haviland, started his own company in Bavaria, Germany, in 1907, and went out of business by 1924. An Italian firm bought the company and in 1933 sold it to the Rosenthal conglomerate. Quantities of this inexpensive china were sold at PXs in Germany after WW II. Several patterns were used as grocery store premiums. This company has no connection with the French or American Haviland china companies."

https://havilandcollectors.com/hcif/haviland-history/

Rayo56 and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Okey Doke - .... Hope this helps. don't think I can do better!
    il_570xN.1647484473_bry7.jpg

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

It's a pretty pattern.

I'm guessing you are getting ready to sell?
    People use china at Thanksgiving, Christmas, Mother's Day and Easter.

So the best time to put it up on facebook or ebay would be at the end of October, beginning of November.

Others may have other suggestions.

Oh and if on ebay, the cost of shipping the complete set will be outrageous.

8. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

9. Annette Sweet

Annette Sweet New Member

What do my marking on my grocery store Johann Haviland Blue Garland mean? There are "+" marks next to the word Germany and a number below that. I cannot find any images resembling it. They are different then any others I have found. This is a sugar bowl and tea pot.

Attached Files:

10. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

The pattern was probably made over a long period of time, and the marks may vary a little. There's no significance to the plus marks. The number may be a factory, but it's not documented, and no one cares about that.

bercrystal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted