John Binns Declaration of Independence

Discussion in 'Art' started by Grim, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Grim

Grim New Member

So my Great grandmother gave this to me because she knows im a big history buff and it hung on my wall for years. A friend was interested and started looking into it which cause me to look into and i can find nothing on it. I know its a limited run John Binns print from 1976 but not much more. ANyone ever seen this or have a clue of that value? sorry for the links, the pictures were to big.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/005rvl0s5ow0fl0/2016-06-09 17.45.09.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ouqfw85gu0xfdkh/2016-06-09 17.44.57.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/8icnlzabz2dbs6x/2016-06-09 17.45.27.jpg?dl=0

KingofThings likes this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Make your photos 480x640 and you'll be ok.
    Many of us don't chase links, as you may imagine. :)

3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I resized your pics.

he67.jpg

jjjl.jpg

unspecified.jpg

KingofThings and Grim like this.
  4. Grim

Grim New Member

KingofThings and anundverkaufen like this.
  5. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Hola, and welcome to the Forums.

I'm an amateur antiquer here, but... I can be a pretty relentless ferret, when motivated. If you'll help me get my bearings, I'll see what I can turn up.

So... this is a 1976 (bicentennial) reproduction of the Declaration... limited run...
    ANY idea of the printer?

In absence of any more information (or knowledge from the REAL brainiacs here), I would guess this to be a produced-to-be-collected souvenir/celebration piece... most valued as personal or sentimental item... a treasure from your Great-Grandmother to you.

We have many document/print/etc. experts here who will be taking a look.

Good luck. :)

KingofThings likes this.
  6. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Hi Grim,
    You don't happen to have a pile of paper work that came with it, like this one (which is slightly different than yours):
    [​IMG]
    Lot closed: Nov 08, 2013 10am GMT
    Estimate: 200 GBP - 300 GBP
    Lot 583 Smiths Newent Auctions
    A limited edition print of the American Declaration of Independence No. 1/200 - with six stamps
    "A limited edition print of the American Declaration of Independence No. 1/200 - with six stamps postmarked in London and Philadelphia on the 4th July 1976, to mark the centenary - (the last Sunday postmark in the UK) sold together with certificate and copies of two letters regarding the arrangement of the postmarks with the post office, framed and glazed"

Bakersgma, komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  7. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Yes, WHAT LAURA SAID! :happy:

lauragarnet and KingofThings like this.
  8. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Sorry, essentially worthless ephemera. There is no real reason why anyone would buy this.

9. Grim

Grim New Member

Essentially worthless ephemera? Please explain how you came to this conclusion. I'm pretty sure prints of the Declaration of Independence could hardly be called ephemera.

-Firstly, I'm not trying to sell it, but I've had prior offers ranging from $200-500.

-Secondly, my great grandmother who I cared a great deal for gave this to me.

Thank you Laura for finding that for me, but unfortunately I have nothing more than what's pictured. My grandmother lived to be 98 years old and collected everything.

10. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I think it's wonderful that you have it and want to keep it to remember her. It says much of her patriotism and more.
    I have scant few of my Grandmother's things and since she brought me up, to the age of 11, I'm sorry to not have more physical objects. If I did I would know more of her, what she thought and liked as she suddenly passed away at only 56. :(
    Thank you for me Grandma. :kiss:

lauragarnet likes this.
  11. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

I too think its wonderful to have something to remember Grandma by, I idolised mine and miss her to this day.
    I only have memories of mine but they are wonderful.

12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

This appears to be a reprint of the 1819 Binn's declaration with the added postmark. Here is one of the originals. It sold for $1.00 but has condition issues.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/4812561_rare-binns-print-declaration-of-independence

I find modern reprints available still. I can't think your 1976 reprint can have too much value. I found at least one other postmarked 1976 copy that had some additional stamps at the bottom that was in an edition of 500. Unfortunately, I could not find what it sold for. The value is not worthless and more than a modern reprint but most made to be collectible items such as this do not have a lot of value.

13. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

As a memento of your grandmother it may be priceless to you, but as just about all 'made for collectors' items from relatively recent days it has no commercial value.

lauragarnet likes this.
  14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

My first Rule of Antiques is: Collectibles aren't. Things made for people to collect generally take about 40 years to come back up to their original sale price in resale value. By my estimate, I'd guess about $5 in real value, but as a gift from Great-grandma it's priceless.

gregsglass and KingofThings like this.
  15. Jackie Shearman

Jackie Shearman New Member

I have the same and it’s painted by a man from Newent in Gloucestershire, what makes it unusual is that the stamps were franked in England on July 4th which was important as it was a Sunday, then flown by concord to America and was franked immediately also on July 4th
    I don’t know what it’s worth but I bought it because I liked the novelty of the stamps, hopefully this helps a bit

Pat P, anundverkaufen and Jivvy like this.
  16. Jackie Shearman

Jackie Shearman New Member

sorry should have said printed not painted!

Pat P likes this.
  17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

every bit of info helps.....
    but know that Grim showed up june 10 2016....didn't like what heard...and left june 11.....

but it would be nice to see photo's of yours !!

Draft saved Draft deleted