Featured JOHN MCINNIS AUCTION COMING--VERY COOL STUFF!!!!!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Aquitaine, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I can't attend the auction, as my brother is coming to visit from out of town during that time.

I've met Janice Blouin several times. She and her husband used to attend Pollack's auctions in Middleton years ago. I did too.

She lived fairly close by to the shop I was in (Sedler's Antique Village in Georgetown, Ma. now closed) Do you know Danny Meader, auctioneer at McInnis? I just saw him yesterday at a private house party in W Newbury and he showed us this listing. (Actually the party was in honor of the Sedler's).

Danny actually got his start in the antiques business working at Sedler's which opened approx . 45 years ago; they sold the property in March. He was a friend of the Sedler children, and he was only in his teens when the shop opened. He was their best asset. Very talented in many respects.

I've know Danny all those years, and don't know a finer person. I attended his wedding which must be 25 years ago now.

What a coincidence it would be if we, you and me, have met at some time over the years.

3. Aquitaine

Haha!!! I think it would be nice, but a huge coincidence!!! I got to know John McInnis when I had to find someone to sell Mom & Dad's houseful of antiques on Cape Cod, and we've stayed in touch ever since.....I bought my ONE Cameo from him and he's sold a few things over the years for me as well!!! I really don't know John well, I'd say.......but from what I know he runs a pretty good auction house, as well as auctioning 'houses' themselves, seems like a lot of them in NH!! Aren't you one of the knowledgeable doll collectors.....did you see the dolls, other than the one I posted.....I know very LITTLE about them!!! I have ONE china head that I kept just because I liked her in her little carved bed and patchwork quilt!!!

4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I don't know John at all. I don't believe I ever met him. Just Danny who works for McInnis.

I didn't study the brochure but the little china head is quite adorable.

I have collected dolls.....now ready to unload.

McInnis is planning a doll related auction soon. I am planning on consigning my $600 wicker Victorian stroller. I'm not expecting much......$50 - $200.

Do you live on the cape? Since you mentioned the auction, I thought perhaps you lived north of Boston.

James Conrad and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I've been watching one very similar to mine for quite a while on ebay....probably a year or more. They dropped it to $700 I think.....it ended and I can't bring up the old listing......(way to go ebay, NOT).

This picture may be too small, but mine is quite like this one in style. Mine does not have a porcelain handle tho, which is quite suspect as to age.

[​IMG]

6. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Naturally, the girls missed the MOST! important object in this sale (according to me,lol). Early Frisian carved box, probably American, 1st quarter 18th century.

box 1.jpg

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

John....is that the same one you posted a few days ago that you're interested in?

Christmasjoy and James Conrad like this.
  8. James Conrad

It's James and Yep, It's the same one! Early william & mary box probably carved in america. Lot # 1084 day 3
    https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/63997215_chip-carved-valuable-box

It is carved in the design known as "Friesland", which consists of geometrical shapes, stars, and wheels. This pattern was popular among the Dutch settlers in this country, Friesland is a province of the Netherlands.

Friesland: The Friesland province is located on the mainland, but also includes the West Friesland Islands. Its capital city Leeuwarden is a quiet, charming town that boasts a population of nearly 100,000 inhabitants. In this particular region, the locals adhere to a traditional way of living and speak their own unique language known as West Frisian.Notable cities include Dokkum, Heerenveen, Franeker and Sneek

Provinces-of-the-Netherlands-map.png

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  9. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Gee whiz James! I'm so sorry to have called you John!!:sorry:

10. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Love the colorful map!!

11. James Conrad

LOL, It's OK, i been called worse, MUCH worse!
    Yeah, i didn't realize till i saw the map but Friesland has islands off the coast. Where is @Any Jewelry , she's an expert in all things Dutch!
    It's very distinctive carving here in the new world, guesses they didn't ditch ALL their old world ways.

Christmasjoy, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

North Holland and Groningen also have islands.
    The islands are beautiful, I have been on holiday on two of them. These are typical island houses, 17th century, on the island of Terschelling, the third one from the left on James' (John's ;)) map:
    [​IMG]

Ameland, the fourth island from the left:
    [​IMG]

The string of islands continues along the coast of Germany, all the way to southern Denmark. The culture and language is related on all of them.
    I live in the bright green province in the south.:)

13. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

14. Aquitaine

Both parents grew up and married on the Cape, then moved off to NJ, where we 4 kids grew up. When my parents retired, they returned to the Cape......it took a (you're gonna love this) caravan of either 2 or 3 (don't remember which it was...) Moving Vans to get them and all their STUFF (mostly antiques) to the Cape!!!! DH and I live outside of Worcester, MA. AND, BTW, I love your Stroller!!! Still sad how prices have dropped over the years........ALSO, @James Conrad, best of luck on that small box!!! I have a feeling with 11 watchers, and the estimate where it is, it's going to go significantly higher!!! For you, hope I'm wrong:happy::happy::happy:

15. James Conrad

Yes, I have that same feeling, I'd guess 2-3k range, at which point i am not interested. No big deal, nothing beat a try but failure!

Aquitaine and Christmasjoy like this.
  16. James Conrad

Here is a "real" Frisian box, carved in the old country, notice it's carved on the back. It sold at Skinner for 1k a couple years ago.
    1683, lid and sides carved with complex geometric and heart patterns, the lid with carved inscription "TOMAS/TEVNISE" and "ANNO/1683," with turned front feet.
    friesian-carved-box1.jpg

1124586_view 02_02.jpg
    1124586_view 03_03.jpg
    1124586_view 05_05.jpg

17. Any Jewelry

That is always my first thought when I see a sled like that.:)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    Aquitaine, Bakersgma, judy and 2 others like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Now that is a real Dutch box, beautiful. Tomas probably carved it for his sweetheart.
    With a name like Tomas Teunise it is more likely to be from east of the country than Friesland. Here in the Netherlands that doesn't influence the value. It was only when folk crafts started to die out but still thrived in Friesland, that the style became known as Frisian.

judy, Christmasjoy and James Conrad like this.
  19. James Conrad

Yeah, it is, there is only one problem, it ain't american! I don't like to admit it but, when it comes to early objects like that I have this HORRIBLE chauvinism towards AMERICAN only! I suspect many early furniture collectors are the same, naturally, this bias is a major factor in driving prices for american pieces so high.

20. Any Jewelry

I'm sure it is.
    As a collector you have to limit yourself, and I understand the American bias, but even that can get out of hand.;)
    I prefer the warm, 'creamy' look of old Dutch pieces, a result of the Dutch custom of forever polishing. I never understand why Americans of old didn't do a better job looking after their wood, but that is my Dutch bias.:):hilarious:

Draft saved Draft deleted