Featured John or James Adam Coin Silver Spoon

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Kronos, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Got a coin silver spoon and was wondering if it was possible to narrow down a date on it. It could either be from James Adam (1775-1798 ) or John Adam (1796-1848) - father and son that used the same marks apparently. I noticed there are no "fins" which might mean an earlier date. Its smaller than the usual coin spoons i've found, measuring 5 inches long. Bowl is about 1 inch at it's widest. Thanks for looking.

sp.jpg sp2.jpg sp3.jpg

2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I am so envious that you have such an old spoon!

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

4. Bakersgma

Inconclusive. Some references include one and not the other, one had neither, none had both.

5. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

I found this excerpt from a book that states the following "John Adam continued using his father’s two punch marks, the “JA” in oval and “JAdam” in stepped rectangle (without the eagle); silver bearing these marks are distinguished stylistically as much as possible, pre-1800 styles identified as James’ work and post-1800 styles as John’s. John Adam does not seem to have used the eagle in circular reserve found with some of his father’s silver" http://www.catherinehollan.com/JohnAdam.pdf

I wonder if there's anything concrete with this spoons "style" that says pre 1800 or post 1800. Kinda doubt it.

6. Bakersgma

Can't provide any proof of that - my collection (all family pieces) is all post 1800. All have "fins."

James Conrad and Kronos like this.
  7. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Hollan seemed pretty clear in the excerpt linked that John Adam used his father's "JA" in oval and the "JAdam" in stepped rectangle, with the examples shown below that paragraph, which also mentions the "the several name punches of John Adam", and shows your "I·ADAM." mark, which is not in a stepped rectangle. Would be unusual to find an American Fiddle with or without shoulders dating before 1800, with the shoulders starting to come in around 1810...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    Figtree3, James Conrad and Kronos like this.
  8. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

James Conrad likes this.
  9. DragonflyWink

It's from John Adam (James Adam's son) - if you look around, will find a couple of shouldered Fiddle ladles that bear the same mark as your spoon. Don't believe that old SMP forum thread says anything that differs from my comments, and just as a recommendation, Swarter cites Jackson's 'Silver Flatware: English, Irish, and Scottish 1660-1980' (1983), and though centered on British, it is an excellent reference on the evolution of flatware in general...

~Cheryl

Figtree3, James Conrad and Kronos like this.
  10. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

I didn't say it did. Just something I found while googling around that seemed to explain more in depth. Thought others might find it interesting.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  11. DragonflyWink

It was the "But yea, probably..." that made me think you still thought there was a possibility that it was James Adam - Catherine Hollan is the expert on Virginia silver, that info from her book, along with the style of your spoon should eliminate James as a possibility...

~Cheryl

James Conrad and Bakersgma like this.
  12. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Gotcha. Sorry about that. It's just how I talk/write. Thank you for the in depth replies. I always like finding items like this that give me a chance to learn.

DragonflyWink likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted