John Ruggles Oil Painting 1940 Is this painting a

Discussion in 'Art' started by Mugzinnys, Jul 8, 2019.

?

Does this painting look amateurish ?

1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

100.0%
  3. because the artist is known no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

This is the first time tat I have come across a painting term gouache in my searching queries of this artist.

Is this painting a gouache?
    How can I tell if it was painted using the gouache method?

20 X 16 20190707_170554.jpg 20190707_170601.jpg 20190707_170608.jpg 20190707_170612.jpg 20190707_170618.jpg 20190707_170625.jpg 20190707_170653.jpg 20190707_170658.jpg 16

gouache
    /ɡwäSH,ɡo͞oˈäSH/
    noun
    1. a method of painting using opaque pigments ground in water and thickened with a gluelike substance.
      • opaque watercolor of the type used in gouache painting.
      • a picture painted using the gouache method.
        plural noun: gouaches

Chiquita likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It does say "oil on board" but... It does look like gouache and he did paint in that medium.

Debora

Mugzinnys likes this.
  3. Mugzinnys

I wonder if it the same Woodstock as the famous Musical Festival

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, Woodstock, New York.

Debora

Mugzinnys and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks more like oil to me. Not sure why you would doubt what it says on the back. :confused:

6. Mugzinnys

well compared to another one of his gouaches I see similarities in the thickness of the medium. Most of is many works are thin watercolors. And the colors do not blend they sort of sit on top of one another.

a method of painting using opaque pigments ground in water and thickened with a gluelike substance.

To me it looks like that drawn out method of gouache was used to create this painting.

Am not an expert on gouaches Yesterday was the first time I came across the word and method.

Why do you think it oil on board?

7. Mugzinnys

8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Here is a good example of gouache painting. Usually done on paper. Result is much flatter than your painting.

[​IMG]

A close up of gouache. Pic is a Pinterest link to more examples by this artist.
    [​IMG]

Here is a tutorial with more than you probably want to know about gouache painting.

9. Mugzinnys

Well after tons of videos on gouache painting I have to agree that the above painting is an oil based painting. Tested a small area with a wet Q-tip and there was no break down in the paint, and there is no signs that the piece was varnish over. Also, gouache paint when applied thick it has the tendency to crack , no signed of cracking on the surface. Thanks verybrad

Figtree3, Christmasjoy and Jivvy like this.
  10. Mugzinnys

John Ruggles Thanks for your contributions to the WPA

Figtree3 and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I like the painting! Might want it in a frame that didn't cover up the date, though. And thanks to Brad for all of the instruction.

12. Mugzinnys

"Steel Workers," by brothers Philo and John Ruggles, done in gouache, watercolor and graphite on thick cardboard, was an unsuccessful entry in the Treasury Section of Painting and Sculpture program's "48 States Competition." The 1939 work was considered for the Bridgeport, Ohio, Post Office. The Ruggles were artists from the Bronx, New York.

https://www.k-state.edu/media/newsreleases/2019-02/heroes22619.html

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted