Jorge Cardenas Painting; Cuban Artist Was Student Of Emilio Estevez!

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Dec 10, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at my friend's 2nd hand furniture store today, who found it in a storage unit he won at auction (which is how he supplies his store's furniture; anything non furniture he usually sells to me cheap). It's by Jorge Cardenas & it worried me at first because it's not signed on the front + it has what appears to be 2 different signatures on the back.
    But googling the name at bottom of the painting's back brought me to Jorge Cardenas & his bio, and looking at one of his signatures on a painting it looks just like the top signature on the back of mine (with lightning bolt like start)! Here is what his info said:

Jorge Cardenas was born in Habana, Cuba in 1958. He came to the United States in 1970. In 1973 he commenced his studies with a private teacher Emilio Estevez, alumni of San Alejandro Art School in Cuba. He later continued his studies at Miami Dade Community College and Coral Gables Metropolitan Museum and Art School. He has numerous exhibits dating back to 1974.

THEN(!) while looking through some images of his paintings I found this(!):
    https://fineartamerica.com/featured/thinking-of-you-jorge-cardenas.html

So I know I have the painting titled 'Thinking of You' !

1 question - I found his bio & images of his work on fineartamerica(dot)com & when I click on shop and put his name in the search bar a LOT of his paintings come up for sale (including the one I have!), but there is no "Add to Cart" or price, etc.. - and I couldn't find any of his art for sale when I scrolled down the page that came up for google 'Jorge Cardenas for sale'? - Can someone find any of his work for sale with a price? I would think he'd sell a lot with his bio & with his talent; he's good and he's prolific!
    Any help would be greatly appreciated; I think I did good today but I'm stuck before I can celebrate! :)

ART PAINTING NUDE LADY JORGE CARDENAS 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING NUDE LADY JORGE CARDENAS 1AAA.JPG ART PAINTING NUDE LADY JORGE CARDENAS 2AA.JPG ART PAINTING NUDE LADY JORGE CARDENAS 3AA.JPG ART PAINTING NUDE LADY JORGE CARDENAS 4AA.JPG

Roaring20s likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You're not thinking of Emilio Estévez the actor are you? If so, think you've got the wrong guy. He was born in The Bronx in 1962 and the family's roots are Spanish, not Cuban.

Debora

3. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Really? Glad I didn't list it on eBay yet!

4. Philip Cross

Philip Cross New Member

When my Uncle John died back in 1970, my mother inherited some of his paintings. Among the collection was four by Emilio Esteves. And I was led to this page by googling his name and trying to find information about him. I have attached a link to a google photos album containing one of the Esteves paintings and an information sheet that was with the Bill of Sale.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mymVvTvapyVUa5Zg7

Perhaps another person looking for information on Emilio Esteves (the artist... not the actor)... might find the information useful. And for what it's worth... the Cardenas page on fineartamerica(dot)com (Cited from: https://www.antiquers.com/threads/j...n-artist-was-student-of-emilio-estevez.56760/)... is probably just a collection of completed and sold works (like the one you have titled "Thinking of You"). Cardenas looks good enough to be a very busy artist who can afford to only sell privately.

Draft saved Draft deleted