Featured Joseph Lapierre Painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by kardinalisimo, Feb 21, 2018.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

C9153FF5-0B59-459B-BB43-A0BF198D2189.jpeg After checking some prices on the artist website, they sell similar sizes for 2-3k.
    Wonder if I should be able to get at least half of that on Ebay?

Christmasjoy, aaroncab and Houseful like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I don't think 50% is unrealistic. I would not sell it at auction. I would list it a bit higher at BIN/BO since it might take awhile for the right buyer to come along.

Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Nice. Soothing colors. That's a painting I could enjoy.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. kardinalisimo

Any guesses on the location or I should contact the family and ask them?

5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

A Caribbean island - mountains going down to the azure sea. But which one? Maybe doesn't matter. I wouldn't care if it was mine.

6. kardinalisimo

E0E202FF-A4BA-462B-9C0C-80388FFDC64C.jpeg Here is a better photo.

7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

8. kardinalisimo

I think I saw some of those. In my opinion, unrealistically low sold prices. I know the official web site will have prices higher that auction houses but it does seem that they sold quite a few paintings for 2-3k. So, I guess it all about finding the right buyer.
    I’ll do what Verybrad suggested, higher Buy Now with best offer and see what kind if interest, if any, will be shown.
    There are no original painting on Ebay currently and nothing sold in the past months.

judy likes this.
  9. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

An artist can ask whatever he/she wants for their work as can their estate after they pass on. The secondary market is where you actually find a more realistic idea of the market for his her work. In this case the evidence points to the paintings being "worth" closer to the $200-300 range than the $2,000-3,000 range the estate is asking.

judy likes this.
  10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Took the 2-3K value given as realistic prices without researching. Think the auction prices are more realistic. One thing I have found is that modern artist's work on the secondary market is worth a fraction of what they sell their works for. I am not entirely sure why. It may be that those buying on the secondary market are seeking bargains and those buying directly from the artist are seeking the interaction with the artist and/or assurance the work is real. There is also the factor of the purchaser wanting to support the artist directly, though in this case, the estate. People who buy new art and cultivate relationships in the art world are a different critter than those of us who build collections of used art.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  11. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

The sad fact is that despite the fantasy that art is a great investment the reality is that most art decreases to almost nothing over time. There is nothing wrong with supporting an artist and/or gallery and buying works of art that you enjoy on a daily basis. You just have to accept the fact that much like an expensive sofa, or even a car for that matter, most paintings are pretty much worthless after 20 or 30 years. There is a reason that original oil paintings can be bought at Goodwill for almost nothing.

judy likes this.
  12. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

what is BIN/BO?

judy likes this.
  13. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Asian Fever, on eBay, BIN is BUY IT NOW, and BO is BEST OFFER.

14. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

Thank you:headphone:

SBSVC and yourturntoloveit like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted