Judith Leiber bag: Any Info appreciated

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by antique85, Mar 6, 2021.

1. antique85

antique85 Well-Known Member

front.JPG front2.JPG fish best.JPG fish.JPG Hi!
    Thank you in advance for replying to my post about this Judith Leiber bag. Any information would be appreciated. The clasp is a fish. I think it is leather. Is there a market for this bag?

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, antique85!

Ive enlarged your photos. Please check the box for Full Image, Thanks. :)

3. antique85

Thank you for taking the time to do that and explain how to do it in the future.

i need help likes this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I think the Realreal might be a good place to look.

komokwa likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

a huge market , if it's real.
    they made a lot of bags.......
    try ebay or poshmark.....

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

An American luxury brand. I'd assume it was genuine as style dates it to the 1960s, well before the 1980s when designer counterfeiting began. Of course, it would be leather. And clasp is not a fish; it's a classical dolphin. Sure to be a market but not what she's known for which is crystal-studded evening bags. Could/would you post a photograph of interior with logo?

Debora

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    kyratango, Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Bronwen likes this.
  8. antique85

DSCN3776.JPG Thank you everyone for the useful information. Here is a picture of the bag's interior with the Judith Leiber signature.

Attached Files:

9. antique85

10. antique85

Thank you for that informative information--especially regarding the era and that the clasp is a classical dolphin (very interesting). I posted a photograph of the interior with the logo.

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think you're fine. And, interestingly (or not), eBay selling prices are well under those of 1st Dibs. You should take a look -- if you haven't already.

Debora

12. antique85

I looked on ebay and didn't see much value. I wonder why ebay's prices are so much lower. I am not familiar with the high-end sites such as realreal, 1st dibs, etc. Do you suggest 1st Dibs as the best one and most trustworthy to deal with and best payment structure? Thank you

13. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Sold prices on eBay are a better indicator of value than inflated asking prices elsewhere.

kyratango and Debora like this.
  14. komokwa

we here see 1st Dibs as very overpriced.......do not use them as a guide...

kyratango, reader and Debora like this.
  15. antique85

I hope you don't mind me saying I am a bit confused: Do some people here recommend these sites but others do not? Per the link above, I do see some similar Judith Leiber bags sold on 1st dibs. Do you think people in the market for high end bags prefer these high end sites because they authenticate the bags and make sure they are in good condition and are willing to pay a premium price for that service. I just looked on ebay and many are around $100-$200 but here is one for $1200 with 13 watchers and have no idea why. It is not real gold. https://www.ebay.com/itm/JUDITH-LEI...ther-Purse-/353180647165?hash=item523b34fefd>

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Of course you'll find differing opinions here but... I agree with those above. My personal opinion is that eBay is a better guide for collector interest and market value. An asking price is just that. There may be so many watchers because Judith Leiber collectors are curious to see if the bag sells and, if so, at what price.

Debora

kyratango and komokwa like this.
  17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The bags that garner the most interest (and, hence, higher prices) are her reptile skin bags, both day and evening, and her crystal-studded minaudières. Yours is a classic leather day bag. If you should choose to sell it, I would think it would find a seller but at a more modest price than bags in those categories.

Debora

kyratango and komokwa like this.
  18. antique85

Debora and everyone else who answered my post: Thank you for taking the time to provide me with such useful information.

komokwa likes this.
  19. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Also, do know that Judith Leiber was always a "ladies who lunch" brand. Well made and expensive but not cutting edge design.

Debora

20. komokwa

If 1st dibs is your preference....that's fine.

as for watchers on eBay......they have no correlation to final price sales....
    you can have 100 watchers.......and it can sit like that for months....years..

kyratango and reader like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted