Featured Julius Dressler Majolica

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by wildrose, Nov 9, 2015.

1. wildrose

wildrose Well-Known Member

Just came home from a weeks vacation and found this purchased by my partner. 26" tall, giant urn! I believe it is by Julius Dressler Czechoslovakia... can anyone help me with it? It sure seems mythological in nature. Not exactly sure of the time frame involved and could use some good key words for listing. Thanks! dressler.jpg dressler1.jpg dressler2.jpg dressler3.jpg

cxgirl, lauragarnet and KingofThings like this.
  2. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I can't help on description, but because it has "Czechoslovak" on it would date it after 1918 when the Central Powers were defeated in WWI. The Bohemian empire/kingdom was desolved resulting in Bohemia becoming part of the Czech Republic. The Julius Dressler company was founded in 1888 in Biela, Bohemia. After 1918 the town was called Bela, Czech Republic. The "B" in the JDB stamp stands for Biela. Early marks of the company had the JDB on an embossed lighthouse/tower mark.

--- Susan

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

How about ostentatious ...or Winged Ram Horse Serpents !!

KingofThings and wildrose like this.
  4. Ladybranch

As to the motif, after a little research, it may be depicting the goddess Hecate fighting the Giant Clytius. One side she is fighting with a torch and on the other side she is fighting with a sword. The torch and sword represent 2 of her "three-faceted." This fight is the subject of the East Frieze on the Greek Pergamon Altar. A reconstruction of the altar is in the Berlin museum. According to Wiki...

"... On the left the presentation begins with the three-faceted goddess Hecate. She fights in her three incarnations with a torch, a sword and a lance against the Giant Clytius.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pergamon_Altar#East_frieze
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Per...m_-_Antikensammlung_-_Pergamonaltar_02-03.jpg

It seem early on the giants were depicted with human legs and later with snake legs.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giants_(Greek_mythology)

At first I thought the winged god might be Eros, but after spotting the altar frieze, I now thing the giants. How or why of the wings, I don't know.

--- Susan

5. wildrose

wildrose Well-Known Member

Susan you rock! thanks for all that info!

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Ladybranch

You're welcome. I did notice on the explanation of the friezes around that alter, some of the Giants were depicted with wings. I haven't a good explanation of the winged serpent/dolphin rams other than a collection of weird mythology. The Golden Fleece was of a winged ram and mythology is full of hybrid creatures. Dressler is known for their amphora work.

--- Susan

Draft saved Draft deleted