Featured Just a bunch of the girls

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by moreotherstuff, Oct 18, 2015.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

This photograph is actually no larger than a postage stamp. My guess is that it's a contact print (the photo negative in direct contact with the photo paper).
    [​IMG]

My aunt, who worked for DeHaviland, is in this photo. Another guess is that they are in a DeHaviland maintenance hangar and that one of the ladies had a camera with a timer, which she set on the wing of a nearby plane.

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Ah, the golden age of flight !

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

That's a great photo. Look how shiny that plane on the left is!
    I wonder how much you could enlarge it before it gets too blurry.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I sent a copy to my sister and she printed it as a 5x7 and says it looks fine. I wonder if this might be a very early polaroid, because with regular film... how could they be sure they got the shot? If that bar across the bottom is a wing, I can't see someone laying on it to take the photo (and that bar wouldn't be there). Well... maybe someone standing behind the wing and shooting over it?

KingofThings likes this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Do you know what year this was taken? The first commercial Polaroid camera was unveiled in 1948. Doing research on that might help in finding out more about it. With such a small print, I wonder whether it was a teeny tiny camera of some sort?

And, that is a wonderful photo!

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Great photo! If it was a Polaroid, they wouldn't have a negative to do a contact print. Is it on a thick photographic paper?

I have a stack of photographs from WWII that are very tiny. They were taken by a Naval Air Photographer based in the South Pacific. I assumed they were cut up contact prints. If I can dig them out, I will post a couple to compare.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Don't know the date for sure... after WWII. The paper is glossy and seems to be a standard weight to me - neither notably heavier nor lighter than ordinary. If it was a Polaroid, then it would be a one-off and, yes, without a negative. The photo has a wide white border (not shown here). If a contact print, it was cut from the roll to print.

The flags hanging from the rafters appear to be Great Britain and Greece. I think, at that time, the Union Jack would have been as common in Canada as the Red Ensign (the specifically Canadian variant). Note the crown on the tails of the planes to the right: at another idle guess, mail planes.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    KingofThings likes this.
  8. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I haven't forgotten this, I had a dental procedure that knocked me on my a**. I'm so heavily medicated I can't make down stairs to look. Hoping I'll feel much better this weekend.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted