Featured Just a really cool find today wanted to share, I know we're gonna have fun with this one

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by jakes vintage, Dec 19, 2017.

1. jakes vintage

jakes vintage Well-Known Member

Not exactly what we usually see on the jewelry board but it' to make your own copper jewelry so I figured I'd post it here. Never been used and picked it up on 1/2 price day at the thrift store. I found some others online but nothing that the graphics looked as old as this one so I don' know exactly how old it is but figured I'd share regardless.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

bercrystal, stracci, KSW and 8 others like this.
  2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

I still use the hotplate for melting tin. The stuff was left in the house when we moved in in the eighties.

3. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

That sure looks neat.

KSW, Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

5. jakes vintage

Nope no dates anywhere that I can see been through the booklet a few times and nothing

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Going to guess that SIS's 'master set no. 1000' is slightly earlier than Jake's 'starter swirl set no. 900'. The graphics got fancier. Prominent placement of UL certification symbol may also indicate they were more established by then.

7. jakes vintage

The same one above is included in the order catalog as well looks like the same graphics maybe it' from around the same time? Who knows I just thought it was really cool something to do with the family.. though it is intereting the master set originally cost 9.95, but my starter set cost 10.95 originally I'm thinking someone got their pricing backwards..lol
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  8. jakes vintage

I don' know, after looking at the contents I may not be touching that sheet in there
    [​IMG]

stracci, KSW, Christmasjoy and 5 others like this.
  9. Bronwen

Love 'glass lumps'. This is the kind of thing some well meaning family friend gives your kid for birthday that you never allow her/him to use. Someone gave me a stained glass kit that was like that, just stayed in the box.

10. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

We used these in junior high school art classes,made a pendant for my mother.

KSW, NewEngland, Christmasjoy and 4 others like this.
  11. jakes vintage

I have some of that Sterling clay the kind you shape what you want then fire it and end result is sterling jewelry, I bet this would work with that

12. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Used asbestos tape in the molds before pouring plaster around wax models that were going to be melted out in the kiln. I'm still here nearly 50 years later. The 40 years of smoking will probably get me first. You should worry more about the radiation from your phone.

As for dates. You are looking in the first couple of pages or the very last two pages for a series of numbers. They will be small and at the bottom of the page. If you find any show a picture of them please.

Also somewhere on the box should be the makers address. Does it have a zip code? If no zip code, then it was produced before 1963.

13. jakes vintage

Yep the smoking will probably get to me first too, you know I went all through that box looking for anything and "thought" I looked the entire box over but I feel about as dumb as a box of rocks after seeing this when I went to look for the zip code
    [​IMG]

14. Chris Mount

Chris Mount Getting there

I'd be scared of glass lumps to:)

15. Bronwen

Think we are now obliged to warn you: Don't burn the house down & don't put your eye out with those 'swirling tools'!

stracci, Christmasjoy and Bakersgma like this.
  16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I don't think it would get hot enough; the silver goes into a kiln and heats like ceramic. I've been known to collect hobbyiest enamel pieces but have never seen a kit before. I did however once find the powders and the copper in an estate sale. I saw one woman buying the copper bits and told her where to find the glass powders too. Made her morning. (I'm a weird picker; I find it more fun to help other people find something good than to find it myself some days. )

17. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Isnt it funny how before helicopter parenting kids played with stuff that could have killed them ? :)

18. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Sweet! :)
    Thanks for showing it!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  19. KingofThings

Hell you probably breathe in more than that every day.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  20. KingofThings

I fiddled with all I got. One of my Uncles’ was a scientist for US Testing. He is probably the one who gave me countless scientific kits as gifts. :)
    I still have the one inch square sheet metal samples he gave me long ago when I was little. :)
    I was able to tell him this and more just before he passed. :(

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted