Featured Just a share Old German Crystal Pendant Sterling Art Deco

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by scoutshouse, Nov 30, 2018.

1. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

I've had this for about 35 years - purchased it at a flea in Kern County during Whiskey Flats Days - an annual sweltering Lake Isabella 3-day holiday. Here's a beautiful poem I recall from the Tombstone Epitaph contest:

Here lies Solly,
    Hit by a trolley,
    Flat as a dolly,
    Oh, my golly

Anyways, it has a tiny chip in it... The owner pointed it out and explained she had chipped it while working on her engine. Since she felt she'd had her enjoyment of it, she was willing to let me pay her $20 in cash and mail her the rest of it when I got home :) How sweet is that?

I'll have it forever, is my guess! Marked: MADE IN GERMANY/HANDARBEIT 835

(I really wish I knew WHY the H lightroom doesn't export my color/exposure adjustments, grrr)

LAU_Crystal Pendant Germany-1.jpg LAU_Crystal Pendant Germany-4.jpg LAU_Crystal Pendant Germany-3.jpg LAU_Crystal Pendant Germany-5.jpg

Attached Files:

judy, kyratango, pearlsnblume and 8 others like this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It's quite beautiful. Is it a quartz crystal? :cat:

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Gorgeous, scouts. And a good story.
    It looks a bit Bauhaus influenced.

judy, kyratango, scoutshouse and 2 others like this.
  4. Kimbert

Kimbert Well-Known Member

How beautiful, thank you for sharing! too bad about the chip, though I can't even see it! Sometimes hardly perceptible flaws are a blessing because then you can come into a special almost perfect piece at a much more affordable price. I have a victorian hinged silver bangle that is honestly my favourite one I've ever seen that the seller sold half the price of many comparible ones because it was "dinged and dented" but hardly more dinged up than I'd expect an old silver bangle to be- in fact I think she exagerated the flaws! Still looks shiny and gorgeous overall!

LIbraryLady, judy, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  5. scoutshouse

I think so... I've seen a number of them out there - these guys think it is:

Edwardian Rock Crystal Pendant >$800 Ruby Lane
    with gorgeous chain... Is Edwardian Art Deco an thing? :)

Screenshot 2018-11-30 12.37.06.png

Then this similar from catawiki:

Screenshot 2018-11-30 12.36.40.png

judy, kyratango, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  6. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I remember my mother telling us children of a Tombstone Epitaph that read ...

Where ere thee be ..
    Let thy wind blow free ..
    Thy didst not heed ..
    Twas the death of Thee.

England, circa 1948. I was about 6yrs old. Sent my older brother into fits of choking laughter .. Joy.

7. Any Jewelry

The Ruby Lane pendant is Art Deco.
    Art Deco is just after Edwardian. In jewellery Art Deco is chunky, often angular, Edwardian is delicate and frilly.

judy, kyratango, scoutshouse and 3 others like this.
  8. scoutshouse

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

I thought it was a stretch :)

It's really not bad, and could be fixed if I really wanted perfection.

She actually had all her wares spread out on the hood of her truck, and I'll never forget how it blazed in the hot sun!

Christmasjoy, Kimbert, judy and 2 others like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Calling out to you: buy me!

10. scoutshouse

Congratulations on your bangle, @Kimbert - I'd love to see a picture of it :)

In my honest efforts to avoid returns and harsh feedback, I sometimes feel like I'm "unselling" perfectly good collectibles - almost begging people to buy! :(

Buyers have access to so much inventory, they can legitimately afford to be picky. Most understand they're buying vintage items that probably show wear, but it's made me MUCH pickier about what I do pick up (not a bad thing).

It landed in our cabin like a Martian! I'm sure most of our families get some kick out of the novelties we all drag home :)

judy, Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Kimbert

thanks, I could upload a pic later, maybe I'll put it in an album =)
    Totally understandable that you'd want to disclose everything in great detail because it's true, if you don't someone might complain if they didn't catch the flaw already from pictures. If priced accordingly, luckily, you'll always have people like me who are happy to take flawed items who might not be able to afford the mint condition version!!

12. scoutshouse

Maybe not the couches :)

13. Kimbert

Any Jewelry and scoutshouse like this.
  14. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

@Kimbert

Is the bangle marked?One photo the metal looks strange near the latch button,not sure what the engraver was doing with the rocker engraving on the top border.Most of the engraving is not great.

scoutshouse and judy like this.
  15. Kimbert

Not marked! Wasn't really looking for an appraisal of quality here specifically, I mentioned that I can't afford "mint" quality on many items so I settle for less perfect versions- I happen to love the look of the engravings! I guess I don't have a trained eye for it though!

judy, Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  16. scoutshouse

Thanks for sharing your bracelet, @Kimbert :)

I can see why you love it!

Where sre you located? Here in the US? Just wondering where it may have come from?

Kimbert and judy like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

scoutshouse, Kimbert and judy like this.
  18. Kimbert

thank you! good to know that no marks points to being from US!

Canada, seller was US though so that would support Any Jewelry's assertion!
    thank you!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    scoutshouse and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted