Just about to give up on selling this painting is it that bad?

Discussion in 'Art' started by trip98, Nov 21, 2014.

1. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

sbzimmermanpainting1a.jpg sbzimmermanpaintingm.jpg I giving it till the end of this month, maybe I am using the wrong key words, but it seriously has had no interest at all. Fairly well-know east coast artist. Any ideas of what I am doing wrong? Carl J Zimmerman. I have priced at 1/2 of actually sold oils.

2. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

oops it is large
    27" high x 33" wide with frame

3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I'd say it is just suffering from not being fashionable. Paintings like so much else have no intrinsic value, just how much people are prepared to pay for them, and if not many people want a painting in a certain style it might as well be a bubble gum wrapper.

If they don't suit the current decor, and they do not have any significant artist cachet, people just nod and move on. It'll be hotter than a two dollar pistol as soon as Victorian clutter comes back in vogue.

Armando0831 likes this.
  4. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Probs right as soon as I dump it, it might be worth selling.

5. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

I'd rather see a painting of roadkill than a painting of a bowl of fruit or vase of flowers

antidiem likes this.
  6. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

lol but do you see the woman in the background writing a letter.. is that not intriguing?

7. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

trip, does the painting actually look like that in real life, or is there a glare on the canvas?

If there is a glare,, perhaps taking photos in a different lighting would make it stand out more.
    I have to admit that I did not see the woman, because the flowers sort of poke you in the eye with how light they are.

8. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

no glare that is in painting

9. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

10. Armando0831

Armando0831 Well-Known Member

If you know what town or area he is from, you can try to list it in an ad for that area. If you aren't catching fish, change spots.

11. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

12. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Skeezix- lol correct link?

13. Armando0831

I would take that gum wrapper any day.

14. Armando0831

15. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Armando: thanks for the local area suggestion, I am going to look into posting a local ad.

Armando0831 likes this.
  16. Armando0831

No problem. Good luck!!

17. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The woman looks like she came out of the vase. There are white shapes that look like her gown.

18. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Maybe I should rename the painting genie writing a letter

Figtree3 likes this.
  19. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

I'd go for the ghost crowd

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  20. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I'm seeing a 'ghost' ridge around the painting that looks like it was framed differently. I wonder if there is a painting under the painting.

On your first image, it looks like cracks in the paint. I'd like to see a closeup of that area. If the cracks are beneath the current coat of paint, then I'd say Carl painted over an older painting and then I'd be really curious.

Draft saved Draft deleted