just another new guy intro

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by RonS, Dec 4, 2016.

1. RonS

RonS New Member

Hello All,
    My name is Ron and this is my first post on your fine forum.

I am not new to internet forums, and am a member of several forums of other interests. Those include Camping, RV'ing, Hunting, and basically anything to do with the outdoors. I am even a staff moderator on one of my other forums. I am very active on my other forums of interests, and have always felt that forums are the best place to learn and communicate with others who have a common interest in subjects and activities.

I live in Orange County Calif. , and live with my elderly mother helping her with her needs as they arise. That brings me to why I have surfed around and found your forum.
    Admittedly, I am not a big "Antiques kind of guy", but my mother has asked me to try and find out some information on some items she has that she would like to sell.

As a Moderator on other forums, I understand that there is often an expected protocol, so I don't want to break any rules, or come off as a "undesireable" (trust me, I see many of those types on my other forums). haha.

I have some questions on several pieces of antique China (Dresden, and others), as well as some Crystal pieces, that my mother would like to find values on for the purpose of selling them. (she does not use a computer well, so that is why I am tasked with it).

please let me know what is the acceptable way to ask the questions and learn what She needs, so that I do not unintentionally or mistakenly break any forum rules, or do something that may be incorrect.

thank you for allowing me to join, and hopefully I can find out and learn what I need to make her happy.

Respectfully,
    Ron

KingofThings likes this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Ron,
    Ask away for we are the friendliest board around. The only thing is we ask for photos of the item and the bottom. Lots can be learned looking at the bottom even if no legible script is there. It seems that we are getting a bit older so use the large format. Welcome to the board!!!
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
  3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome!

4. RonS

RonS New Member

Hi Greg,
    Thanks for the quick response and welcoming.
    I was just over reading the forum rules while you were replying, and I noticed that it is not allowed to post items for sale (?) if that is correct ?
    If so, that is fine, and maybe I can just get some advice from others here, (or directed to where I can ask) on where I can find out the values of my mom's pieces ?

I'll bounce around a little on the forum index to try and learn what is or is not allowed here.

should I start a different thread to post pics of the pieces she has ? or should I post them here in this introductory thread ?
    Thanks , I'm just wanting to "play by the rules" , and not be the bonehead type, :banghead: :eggface: :)

KingofThings likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Ron! And bless you for doing what you can for your Mom.

As for asking your questions, as Greg has said we really are the nicest board on the net. Find the Forum your item best fits into and start a thread about it!

KingofThings likes this.
  6. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

In case Greg has left. There are separate forums for different things including sell. You'll see FORUMS in the upper bar. Go there to see what's available.

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

@RonS

Your Mom's china and crystal items will get the best exposure to expert eyes in the Pottery Glass and Porcelain Forum (under Antiques.) Although we hesitate to quote values (being an international site), the folks who help out with PGP are often able to find similar items listed and/or sold or can provide selling advice from their own experience when the items are in the US (as yours are.)

The Sell section under Marketplace (at the very bottom of the main page) has its own rules pinned to the top of the Sell board.

Figtree3 and KingofThings like this.
  8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Welcome. We hope you have some real treasures, but don't be disappointed if you find out they aren't. That happens. There are some real experts here so you should get a lot of info. I learn something new every day.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Take a few minutes to browse other posts on the Pottery, Glass and Porcelain forum. As suggested, this is probably the forum you will use most from what you have described. I think you can get a nice feel for how to best post, by seeing the other posts.

We like photos that appear in the text rather than clicking on thumbnails. To accomplish that after you have uploaded your photos, click on "Insert every image as Full Image".

Finally, as suggested, photograph all angles, straight on, top and bottom. It can be helpful if we have approximate measurements of the height too.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    KingofThings likes this.
  10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Welcome
    An RVer. Great.
    That would make for an interesting thread in the General Discussion forum.

As mentioned pictures from front and bottom as well as measurements. A bowl might be a small fruit bowl or it might be a large punch bowl, without measurements we can't properly tell you what you have.

Also you can put more than one item in a thread. Just keep like items together in the question. 2-5 glass items one thread, 2-5 pottery items in another thread. Helps to number the items to make responses clearer.

KingofThings likes this.
  11. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

No such thing as JUST another new guy..............Welcome to the forum and we look forward to sharing our knowledge and your knowledge and all of the new knowledge we will collectively accumulate! So, show, learn, teach and enjoy!

12. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Welcome to the forums!

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Welcome Ron.
    As a Moderator elsewhere , we will have to hold you to a higher standard on this board , & we will watch you like a hawk for any and all errors , gaffs , and infringements of our very strict rules.

xhorseshit.jpg

Ain't that the truth !!!!!
    :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

So , join in on as many forums as you have time for, & have FUN !!!!

14. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome, Ron -- I think you got all of your answers, but will just say that the "Sell" forum is for items that you are actually advertising for sale through this forum. It is fine to ask for identifications in the other forums, even if you do intend to sell some other way later. Just don't advertise something for sale in the other forums.

15. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted