Featured Just can't even believe this...

Discussion in 'Silver' started by DragonflyWink, Dec 28, 2019.

1. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Purported to be a 1932 gift to Eva Braun from Frau Goebbels - the set is Northumbria's 'Normandy Rose' pattern (bit of irony in the name), Canadian sterling from a firm not in existence until 1941 (a division of International Silver/Canada), in an original box lined with Pacific Silvercloth, trademark not used until 1944:

EvaBraun-fakecutleryboxsale-3.jpg

EvaBraun-fakecutleryboxsale-4.JPG

EvaBraun-fakecutleryboxsale-1a.JPG

EvaBraun-fakecutleryboxsale-2a.JPG

Three spoons offered were said to be designed by Albert Speer (1905-1981) - but, ummm, they are typical British bright-cut, hallmarked London, 1822:

EvaBraun-fakespoonsale-london1822-3.jpg

EvaBraun-fakespoonsale-london1822-1a.JPG

EvaBraun-fakespoonsale-london1822-2a.JPG

Not sure if I'm more surprised by the balls and/or ignorance in listing these items or the sheer stupidity of the bidders...

EvaBraun-fakes-sold-1.JPG
    EvaBraun-fakes-sold-2.JPG

~Cheryl

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Good grief. Talk about the need to do your own thorough research into veracity of seller claims. :rolleyes:

cxgirl, Sandra, KSW and 7 others like this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Maybe they are pandering to their audience ? Im sure a lot of white supremacists would love to brag they eat with Eva Brauns silverware (even if it isnt) .

Fid, cxgirl, Sandra and 8 others like this.
  4. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Reminds me of that nice sweater I bought from Orbach's labeled:

"NOT MADE IN FRANCE"

5. scoutshouse

I never report on ebay, but that's reDONCulous.

cxgirl, Bronwen and DragonflyWink like this.
  6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Magda Goebbels was awarded the the Nazi Cross of Honour for having 6 kids for the cause,signed by Der Fuhrer himself, identical to the 3 medals I have.

Now there's a thought ;)

If I can get hold of an M & G letter punch:hilarious::hilarious:

IMG_0024-vert.jpg

cxgirl, johnnycb09, Bronwen and 5 others like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Eva certainly has been eating her way through the third reich.:jawdrop: Germans are known to be big eaters, but this big? Come to think of it, with all those kids she had to eat for seven.:rolleyes:

cxgirl, Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  8. DragonflyWink

Just stunned me when I ran across it, even without any knowledge of silver, it's just all 'off', and would think that anyone interested in such stuff, and willing to pay such prices, would have some knowledge regarding its supposed history (could be just militaria collectors). Seems unlikely Magda Goebbels would have much interest in Eva Braun in early 1932, when by most accounts her relationship with Hitler wasn't even considered at all serious until later in that year, much less give her a set of flatware (and certainly not Canadian - what, no German silver available?) for her 20th birthday. The presentation plate oddly engraved to just 'Eva', but using the 'Goebbels' surname without a formal title - if they were friends, would have just been from 'Magda' (but then the supposed 'provenance' wouldn't be so obvious).

Here's a bit on Eva Braun's flatware (apparently Speers designed the 'EB' monogram): https://www.argunners.com/treasures-silverware-set-of-eva-braun-on-exhibit/

~Cheryl

9. scoutshouse

Wait, what?? I didn't realize they were selling them individually!!!!!!!!!! I thought it was the whole set!

I mean, they made a TON of money, but when those "Item not as described" start rolling in...

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

just a crook......so many out there....

11. DragonflyWink

Eh, if they were stupid enough to buy them, probably stupid enough to be happy with them...

~Cheryl

12. scoutshouse

...maybe I'm reading it wrong, they're different patterns - sure is a lot of cutlery ascribed(?) to her!

$911 is just for the BOX!

13. DragonflyWink

Third Reich memorabilia is widely faked and misidentified - wish I had a buck for every 'genuine' Nazi or SS skull ring I've seen. Engraving can be done at any point after manufacture and is usually an unreliable proof of age or origin - the set linked at the Gettysburg Museum of History seems to have a good provenance...

~Cheryl

Bronwen likes this.
  14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Kastner is actually a reputable auction house, but they're generalists. It's on the buyer to know what they're buying ... and it's in Canada. It makes perfect sense for UK and Canadian silver to turn up in a Canadian auction house.

DragonflyWink and Bronwen like this.
  15. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I dont see a problem - it was all described as STERELING silver, after all!

16. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I think some people see what they want to see!
    There's a seller currently offering 'white gold' '14k?' 'diamond'? rings from her grandmothers,sisters dogs mothers estate.
    They are so clearly Chinese junk just about plated with stuck in gems but people are bidding like crazy. They are going for £60-£70. She even has negative feedback for it but what is more stupid of the buyers is that she has put question marks in the description although not after the 'white gold' bit so they possibly have some recourse.
    I've got them on watch just for the entertainment!

17. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Perfect!:D I'll have to remember that one.:writer:

bercrystal and DragonflyWink like this.
  18. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

There's something for everyone on eBay!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

It does say though...item location...Boston ! so it's now in the US./

anundverkaufen likes this.
  20. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Could there be two? The one I'm familiar with is in Edmonton. 11205 149 St NW, Edmonton, AB T5M 2V2, Canada to be exact.

Draft saved Draft deleted