Just picked up a piece by Sheldon Rose

Discussion in 'Art' started by nology, Feb 21, 2016.

1. nology

nology Member

I was cleaning out an office and this piece caught my eye. It was lying against a wall in a break room ready for the trash. I've done some searching but can only find 1 other similar piece with no real info and a bunch of cube scupltures. Also if anyone has any wall hanging adice I'm all ears. This weighs around 40 pounds and the cable in the back looks a bit sketchy.

Attached Files:

2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

We have some big, heaving pictures. Use two heavy duty hangers and make sure they're in a beam.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That is so cool! It reminds me of a wall full of random letters in one of the rooms in the Student Center at the university I attended in the late '60's. Are they metal?

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

OMG!!!!! My brother has a rectangular coffee table in that exact same style!!!! He's in a Rehab for shoulder repair at the moment.....will see if I can find out more from him and a picture when he's home in a week!!!!! It's carved.....correct?????

5. nology

nology Member

Its actually all letterpress wood blocks. Well a mold of them at least. Not sure what the mold is made out of.

6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Very 70s ! Love it !

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

8. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

This one sold on ebay in 2014 for $189

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

They make a stainless steel braided picture wire that is rated to 100 lbs. As mentioned above, two mount points screwed in to studs are preferable. A pair of butterfly-type hollow wall mounts through drywall would probably be sufficient if where you want it does not line up with studs. If you have plaster walls over lath, screws into the lath should be OK but, again, into the studs is better.

10. Mill Cove Treasures

I use these. Even though the smaller one is rated up to 50 pounds, I use the larger 100 pound hook for anything over 40 pounds. I've used these even if I can't line up to a stud without any problems. These withstood a contractor blasting with dynamite on a nearby construction project. The adhesive on the backs are not for additional support, it just makes it easier to bang in the nails without the shield moving.

[​IMG]

Pat P likes this.
  11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I've used those in the gallery, Mill, but the nails aren't long enough for my walls in my house. We have horsehair plaster, not sheetrock and those short nails don't get far enough through.

12. Mill Cove Treasures

That's interesting Bev. I had older walls in my apartment in Boston but it had those wood slats/lath behind the plaster. I must have hit the slats just right. It looked something like this

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-to/step/0,,20643822,00.html

I was inside a home in Charlestown that was never converted into apartments. It was magnificent. The owners didn't want to nail into the walls to they hung everything from the ceilings on wires, museum style. I don't know if the picture hanging crown molding was original to the home or if they added it, however, I think it would be a great solution for people who can't or don't want to bang up the walls or have thin walls like you have.

13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Talked to my brother.....he no longer has his he says, but can't remember if he gave it to one of his granddaughters or daughters!! It was approx. 24" X 45" in length... he insists it was all carved.....he carved a mini-one for a bed-breakfast table for Mom in bed.....think that one's gone too. Rose's works - some sell for up to $1,500 from what I just googled, but many in the $200 to $300 range.....AWESOME SNAG!!!

14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Nice freebie!

15. Bev aka thelmasstuff

That's what our walls look like. I've had to repair the plaster in places. I think the lath is too old and fragile, so we go for the uprights.

16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I might even bite the bullet and sit it on an easel. Or make a table out of it and throw a sheet of plexi over the top?

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted