Featured Just wanted to show Cuban modernist artist Daniel Morales thrift store find painting!

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, May 29, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Hi all - believe it or not I have no questions on this! Just wanted to show my thrift store find from yesterday - an original painting by Cuban modernist artist Daniel Morales!
    PS - I'm sure this one is not a factory painting!

ART PAINTING MORALES DANIEL 1A_AA.JPG ART PAINTING MORALES DANIEL 2AA.JPG ART PAINTING MORALES DANIEL 4AA.JPG ART PAINTING MORALES DANIEL 5AA.JPG ART PAINTING MORALES DANIEL 5AAA.JPG

Figtree3, elarnia, lovewrens and 12 others like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Certainly looks right. Nice find. Title a bit of a puzzle as "Combento" not a word in Spanish. Think it's actually "Convento" which isn't unlikely as "b" and "v" are easily interchanged in some Spanish-speaking countries as they're both pronounced with the same sound. So work called "Leaving the Convent." Image would fit.

He's done it here too, using a "v" for a "b." Should be "tribu" (tribe) not "trivu."

Debora

moralespainting09_master.jpg

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Frame out of period and does work no favors. What does the label read?

Debora

4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I like it very much and I'm ok with the frame too. A plainer frame may show it off better, but I'd not worry if it for resale..

5. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

This one was passed surprised nobody bid

20200529_094122.jpg

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  6. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Very nice painting journey.

7. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Nice painting! Looks like an entire estates Caribbean collection got donated and you got them all!

If I recall you’ve had good luck selling them right? I’ve had a good Haitian painting for sale for quite a while. I overpriced it, so I’m not super surprised. Was hoping someone would need it but I’ll probably have to drop the price.

Where are you that thrift stores are open!?!

Bronwen likes this.
  8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

May have had an opening bid/seller reserve higher than market would bear. Probably would have sold at the right price.

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

SO, MAYBE someone NOT Spanish writing the notations on the back?????

10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

AND even I have to say, I really like this one!!!!!:):):):):joyful::joyful:
    (Even if DH wouldn't let me bring it in the house!!!!)

antidiem likes this.
  11. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

I like it !! and usually this is not my type !!!

antidiem and judy like this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

No, it's not uncommon for some Spanish-speakers to transpose "b" and "v" when writing. In English, they're separate sounds. In Spanish, they're not; they're pronounced the same.

Debora

13. journeymagazine

Thrift store open in Miami.
    I have someone coming from Pompano Beach who will be here around 4 - he saw my listing for Haitian paintings & asked if I had any Cuban paintings - I showed him this one +one attached here that I've had for a while and he agreed to buy both for $600!
    I think I posted this one here before trying to find out who artist was?
    ART PAINTING ABSTRACT MIAMI ARTIST 1A_A_AAZZZ.jpg ART PAINTING ABSTRACT MIAMI ARTIST 1A_A_BAAZZZZ.jpg ART PAINTING ABSTRACT MIAMI ARTIST 1A_A_DAAZZZZ.jpg

Figtree3 and antidiem like this.
  14. journeymagazine

Debora - When I put it in google translate it says: OUTPUT FROM THE COMMENT

15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's a pretty rough (and incorrect) translation. "Comment" is comentario, a word that doesn't appear in your painting's title.

Salida
    means "exit" or "departure." Del means "of the" or "from the" and is followed by a masculine word. Combento isn't a Spanish word. I believe the artist's intent was convento (a masculine word) that means "convent." So something like "Departure from the Convent" would be more accurate. I translated title as "Leaving the Convent" which is more poetic.

Debora

Figtree3 and lloyd249 like this.
  16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

As to your other painting, the artist's name appears to be Serrano.

Debora

17. journeymagazine

Both...SOLD!!
    Thank you all!

Figtree3 and antidiem like this.
  18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Well done!

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted