Jw stutter calling all knife experts

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Chris Mount, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Chris Mount

Chris Mount Getting there

Hi all grabbed this today no hesitation before I even knew who had made it. Question is anyone know how old it is. I know a little about the company but can't seem to find much in relation to old knives. Looks like a bone handle to me although have been wrong before. It's 230mm long. They were selling it as a letter opener but i dont think thats right it' bloody sharp I'm sort of thinking late 1800s early 1900s hope someone can help. Chris 15155622728810.jpg 15155622729281.jpg 15155622729532.jpg 15155623174973.jpg 15155623175424.jpg 15155623175765.jpg

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I don’t believe it’s a letter opener either but possibly a close in and throwing knife.

Joshua Brown and judy like this.
  3. kristiaan

kristiaan Well-Known Member

I would check WWI fighting (trench) knifes.
    I could ask on militaria fora.

Joshua Brown, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Chris Mount

Really that would be great did stutter make these sort of knives

5. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I've seen a lot of letter-openers/paper-knives and that don't look like no Victorian-era letter opener that I've seen!

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

1st thought would be a boot knife...but the guard seems too oversized.
    2nd, would be a Ladies dagger, because of the delicate thin handle.
    It's a defensive weapon for sure.....no letter opener.

but , back to # 1.....the blade , handle , & sheath scream boot knife...

upload_2018-1-10_2-46-26.jpeg

7. Chris Mount

That looks in the right ball park k what do you reckon about age iyo. Also thought this was interesting they employed an ivory carver can't see any fine lines to discolored
    anyway 30 dollars turns out a good buy I reckon 15155733172740.jpg

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That'll look great after a bit of a clean and some polish. Boot knife sounds right.
    You can frame the piece of cellotape and sell it separately.:hilarious:

9. Chris Mount

Thanks aj suggestions for cleaning I never know best techniques for different items c

10. Any Jewelry

Plain handsoap for the hilt, since any residue is grease from hands anyway. It looks like bone, so best not to leave it immersed for too long. I usually start with washing something like this by running it between my hands as if I were washing my hands.
    Same colour shoe polish for the sheath, any brand copper/brass polish for the brass, and possibly de-ruster for the blade.
    Others may have more specific suggestions.

11. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I've bought and sold and cleaned quite a few pocketknives in my time as an antiques dealer (people love them those oldschool folding knives!).

To clean the blade:

Ultrafine steel wool or superfine sandpaper mixed with brasso. That'll remove the tarnish and/or rust on the steel, and polish the blade. Brasso on the hilt will clean that up, too. If you feel so-inclined, brasso can also be used to polish ivory and bone (but use it SPARINGLY - one or two drops is plenty).

Once it's cleaned and polished, then sharpen. NEVER sharpen before cleaning - if you slip once during the polishing process...let's just say I have a 1/2-cm scar on my right index-finger from when I cleaned up a 140-year-old straight-razor.

Good thing I have a high tolerance for the sight of blood.

Always polish the blade using strokes moving from the back, or middle of the blade, heading OUTWARDS towards the edge. Going the other way is asking for sliced up fingers.

12. kristiaan

I would suggest not to clean, if you want to sell it (ever).
    Militaria collectors in particular prefer there items "as is", with "patina".

13. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Me too. Many collectors love “attic found” condition and are really turned off by amateur attempts to clean, polish, etc. if you’ve watched even a few episodes of Antiques Roadshow you’ve probably seen how disappointed some fine-furniture owners are to learn their item lost over $100,000. in market value when it was refinished.

lloyd249, Messilane and Joshua Brown like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

That's why I see so many Javanese and Madurese keris that are beyond redemption. Militaria collectors assume Javanese and Madurese keris are militaria items and let them rust away. Javanese and Madurese are part of their spirituality and serve to enhance a person spiritually or help in their life situation.
    In spite of the fact that I grew up in a keris culture, I still get people trying to convince me that the number of waves of the blade are an indication of how fierce and war-like a keris is, etc, etc. It breaks my heart, and I have been known to buy a keris just to get it away from people like that. I also buy keris that are rust-eaten, to save them.

As for this knife, I would prefer to see it in the same state/condition as the one komo posted.
    Rust and verdigris can eat away at metal, and thin leather can break and tear if not cared for. Judging from the cellotape that has already started.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    komokwa and pewter2 like this.
  15. komokwa

Without more research, or having in my hand , I'd say the handle is bone or antler, & the knife circa late 1800's.
    I'd wipe it with a damp cloth & dry it , but no more than that.

Messilane likes this.
  16. kristiaan

17. Chris Mount

Thanks kristiann thanks mate actually saw that site but didn't scroll all the way down to see forum. Have just emailed him to see if he knows anything keep you posted chris

Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. Chris Mount

Will do i have polished other things and been caught out so will do what you suggest thanks k

komokwa likes this.
  19. komokwa

for $30....I'd buy these all day............good eye !!!!

20. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I was just researching a Stutter knife I picked up and look where it took me. Not sure if anyone will see this old post or not. Yours is wayyy cooler than mine but figured I would share a few photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

komokwa likes this.