Featured K18 pearl ring unsigned

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by crazycatlady, Apr 10, 2021.

1. crazycatlady

crazycatlady Well-Known Member

I think it's mid century probably Japanese, what do you think please? It's marked K18 but no other marks. I'm completely out of my depth with gold I usually buy and sell silver! I found a single pearl one with similar setting on Etsy which says 1950s and a couple with double pearls which have sold on there say that too but the settings are different.

IMG_20210410_135414.jpg IMG_20210410_135423.jpg IMG_20210410_135439.jpg IMG_20210410_135455.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful. The mark is not a standard Japanese gold mark, but I don't know how strict marking is in Japan. I would think they are pretty strict, being a highly organised country.

antidiem, KSW, crazycatlady and 3 others like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

lovely ring !!!

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Pretty sweet. That may have been sold as an engagement ring. If those pearls are natural pearls and not cultured, the price just went up! No idea if it's worth having it professionally tested.

antidiem, aaroncab, KSW and 2 others like this.
  5. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Beautiful!
    It looks like one is silver colored and one is more blue. Hard to be sure looking at my monitor.
    Would you say these are light blue in color? Blue akoyas are very desirable.

Aquitaine, antidiem, aaroncab and 3 others like this.
  6. crazycatlady

Thank you. The double pearl rings I found were just marked K18, the ring with a single pearl K18 and makers initials. Think I probably will take it to a jeweller for valuation but as they've been closed for lockdown and the ring has been sat for weeks waiting I thought I'd ask here and see if my assumptions were correct

antidiem, aaroncab, KSW and 2 others like this.
  7. crazycatlady

They look more grey in person, one is lighter than the other

KSW and stracci like this.
  8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

This information appears to be correct to me.

I don't know what countries would have put the k before the number but it does appear to be 18k from your photos. The pearls also appear to be real, no need to test these in any way, in my humble opinion.

These appear to be Tahitian pearls in gray / blue-gray. Originally, these could have been sold in a jewelry stores in Hawaii or any cruise type souvenir. Could even be 1960s-70s, though I think not later. Anyway, please wait for the opinions of others. It's very pretty. Is it in ggood shhape? :)

crazycatlady, Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'm intrigued by this K18 mark. I've a brooch, if I can find it, same mark. I'd sort of assumed it was American.

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Maybe but I doubt it. American made by someone who brought their metalworking tools from Home maybe. Or if it's old enough. There's no telling what a Victorian goldsmith would get up to.

KSW likes this.
  11. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Pretty ring! I just bought two boxes of “costume” jewelry from one of the online estate auction companies. Got a nice pair of 14k earrings, pair of spare 14k backers, a handful or sterling pieces, some nice costume, and a single heavy earring marked K18 Italy. I think the single earring alone was almost $100 in melt. Not sure how much Italy was making rings with pearls like these but figured I’d share just in case.

Any Jewelry, antidiem and KSW like this.
  12. crazycatlady

Resurrecting this thread as I'm still confused. This listing has a similar setting to mine, is marked K18 like mine and says it's Edwardian
    https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/956...how_sold_out_detail=1&ref=nla_listing_details

and this one says 1950s Japanese and has the same mark
    https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/981...an&ref=sr_gallery-1-19&organic_search_click=1

The mark doesn't look Edwardian to me...I realise Etsy sellers are not experts as I am one! Just trying to list it with as much correct info as possible, I still think it's 50s 60s but there's this niggling little voice in my head saying 'but what if it's older'....

antidiem likes this.
  13. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

More like mid 20th century than Edwardian.

crazycatlady and antidiem like this.
  14. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

@crazycatlady , I still think you are on target here.

crazycatlady and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. crazycatlady

Draft saved Draft deleted