Kandinsky Poster from Russian State Museum - Anything Special?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jan 14, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found a bunch of posters at a local thrift store yesterday, including some from the oriental art museum in Israel but they had 'repro' in small letters in 1 corner - and these 2 posters that I bought.

1 is a Wassily Kandinsky poster of his painting Amazon in Mountains from the Russian State Museum in St. Petersburg. - I've looked, but all I've been able to find is the Amazon in mountains painted on glass?
    I think the fact it's from the Russian State Museum is cool - is the poster rare or unusual?

2nd poster is of Jose Esteban Martinez and the Vorpal Gallery in NY. Again. I've found paintings by him & books about it but no exhibition(?) posters anywhere.

The posters were only $3 each so I don't have a lot invested, but I don't have any info or examples either. Can anyone tell me about or point me in the direction of anything about either poster?

ART POSTER KADINSKY RUSSIAN STATE MUSEUM 1AA.JPG ART POSTER KADINSKY RUSSIAN STATE MUSEUM 2AA.JPG ART POSTER KADINSKY RUSSIAN STATE MUSEUM 3AA.JPG ART POSTER KADINSKY RUSSIAN STATE MUSEUM 3AAA.JPG ART POSTER KADINSKY RUSSIAN STATE MUSEUM 3BAA.JPG ART POSTER KADINSKY RUSSIAN STATE MUSEUM 3CAA.JPG
    ART POSTER JOSE ESTEBAN MARTINEZ  VORPAL GALLERY 1AA.JPG ART POSTER JOSE ESTEBAN MARTINEZ  VORPAL GALLERY 3AA.JPG ART POSTER JOSE ESTEBAN MARTINEZ  VORPAL GALLERY 4AA.JPG

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Found an article about José Esteban Martínez in a regional Mexican newspaper. It talks about his association with The Vorpal Gallery. I quickly ran it through Google Translate and got a pretty accurate translation of the original Spanish. (Neither makes much sense. Have no idea what "the film market" is.)

"José Esteban's artistic conception stems from his approach to Oaxacan art, a crucial point in taking painting seriously.Thanks to the oil paintings that he presented in the exhibition of the Museum of Modern Art, he attracted attention due to the originality and character of his work, which brought with it the attention of various art galleries. He signed a contract with the New York gallery Vorpal Gallery, which greatly promoted his work and focused him on the film market.Therefore, 80 percent of his work is in the middle of the cinema in the United States, a large market in which he is still in force."

https://www.liderempresarial.com/co...e-transforma-el-camino-jose-esteban-martinez/

p4.jpg

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Ah... This explains better. Anyway, he's a regional Mexican painter

"José Esteban Martínez is a renowned visual artist from the state of Zacatecas. He studied graphic design at the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM) and received a Master’s degree in Education Technology and another in Education Communication. During the Miguel de la Madrid administration he was the coordinator of content and methods at the Public Education Secretariat (SEP) in the Free Textbook department. He also worked as the director of content at the National Education for Adults Institute. He was the executive producer of the educational television series Cuentos indígenas and Onda librosat the Latin American Institute of Educational Communication and later became an advisor to the director of television and radio at the same institute. He was the director of the central region of the National Anthropology and History Institute in the state of Guerrero. He also worked as director of the Zacatecas Cultural Institute (1998-2001) and advisor to the state cultural secretaries Rogelio Cárdenas and Flavio Campos. He created activities for the Technical Secretariat of the state DIF family development agency. As a graphic artist, Martínez has collaborated with the Vorpal Gallery in New York, Eleonor Yek in Arizona, and L’Oeil de Boeuf in Paris, among others. Since 2007, he has been the director of the Zacatecas “Fronteras Migrantes” Film Festival and film commissioner for the state of Zacatecas. He has also worked as a costume designer for various theatrical productions and television programs, including Carmina Burana for the University of New York and Cuatro X."

Probably not too many of his exhibition poster produced and not too many survived.

Debora

patd8643 likes this.
  4. journeymagazine

Thanks Debora, I like his work!

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That is the same as the one in your poster. This article about an exhibit marking the 150th anniversary of Kandinsky's birth includes "Amazon in the Mountains" along the side and said it is an "oil on glass" painting.
    https://www.tretyakovgallerymagazin...the150th-anniversary-wassily-kandinskys-birth

Your poster was probably issued at the time of that exhibit, which took place in late 2016 and extended into early 2017.

6. journeymagazine

So can I call it a Russia State Museum exhibition poster?

7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I can't verify that, so I'd say "no." Or, who knows?

Draft saved Draft deleted