Kayan Figure?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by dude, Dec 30, 2020.

1. dude

dude Well-Known Member

I think this figure is of a Kyan woman from Myanmar, though I haven't seen the dress pattern before. It looks like silver in person but feels more like tin. Sorry no pic of the base yet, but it probably won't help much in identification as there are no marks or signatures, just what feels like cardboard. I'm wondering if anyone recognizes the piece. I haven't measured it yet, but I'd say it's about 10" x 7" x 3" and 2-3 lbs.
    BTW, I'm well aware the one background is not Myanmar, but I thought the contrast looked neat and figured I'd take the opportunity to ask you all how much you think a wall sized painting from Cambodia may fetch at market. Thanks in advance for any comments/replies. IMG_20201230_212809.jpg IMG_20201230_213720.jpg IMG_20201230_213210.jpg IMG_20201230_213036.jpg IMG_20201230_213017.jpg IMG_20201230_213813.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is not Kayan. The traditional Kayan women's dress includes a wide blouse, a folded headscarf, and multiple rings around the neck. The more rings are added, the more the collarbones are pushed down, resulting in very sloping shoulders and difficulty in turning the head sideways.
    Your figurine has none of these costume parts or characteristics.

Judging from her hair and facial features, I think she is an African inspired fantasy figure by someone who loves elongated body shapes. Those elongated shapes include that elongated neck, on which she is wearing a plaited collar, but no rings.
    You may have to find an African painting for her background.;)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    i need help, dude, johnnycb09 and 3 others like this.
  3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I think we need a kitsch category.........

johnnycb09 and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Definitely.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  5. dude

dude Well-Known Member

:rage::bookworm::D

2manybooks and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. dude

dude Well-Known Member

"Touche," but bear in mind that some of us poor folk scratch by with the revenue generated from flipping items, some of which we have a hard time identifying, which makes this site invaluable. If posting common, modern, and inexpensive items is a no-no as far as site rules, please set me straight.

It is true, though, that the site doesn't have a category for common items of low value. Maybe "kitsch" would be apt and even somewhat amusing, provided that the posters consider what they are listing "cheap."

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    anundverkaufen likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Dude, not every low value item is kitsch. A lot of very tasteful items are low value.

And a lot of kitsch is not low value at all. It is just meant for a different market and often mass produced.

dude, 2manybooks and i need help like this.
  8. 2manybooks

No personal insult intended. Some people like kitschy things. And none us here know everything. You can see all manner of common and curious things posted on the forum, which people take the time to identify and comment on. But we all need to be prepared to learn that our latest find may not be a gem. :)

Any Jewelry and anundverkaufen like this.
  9. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I think there was or is even a kitsch thread; and there was pretty general agreement that a lot of us are quite fond of items that others might consider kitsch. I've got a bunch of things in that category myself; and I just don't think kitsch is a derogatory term at all.

10. dude

dude Well-Known Member

'

I guess it comes down to connotations versus denotations. Denotatively, the term literally translates to "gaudy / trashy." The feeling it invokes is the same for many.

all_fakes likes this.
  11. dude

dude Well-Known Member

No beef with you, 2MB, but the comment left a bad taste in my mouth and my buddy from Germany's, too. Intentions and receptions are often worlds apart; thus, in this new year, I wish members would refrain from language that could be interpreted negatively and, unless the comments are positive, stick to the facts about the objects. Just my $.02 in '21.

PS: Never thought that this figure or most of my posted finds were gems, but wanted to know value for reasons indicated in an earlier post. Happy New Year!

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

.I wish members would refrain from language that could be interpreted negatively and, unless the comments are positive, stick to the facts about the objects.

That's a tough one.
    We come from a lot of different backgrounds....and have varied opinions.
    When someone posts here for help with an item.....there is really no way control what will be said in response ......
    Hoping for only positive comments ...is a thing...a good thing....but is never a certainty..

Now...if you're interested to see how we try and treat folks here....even newer members...........

Read what's below .............;););):woot:

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/300-birthdays-today-whats-a-guy-to-do.57346/

dude and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. 2manybooks

Such figures appear to be decorative, modern, mass produced cast resin, with metallic finishes added.

This one was sold by "Touch of Class", but is no longer available:
    [​IMG]

They still carry these 2 for $39.99:
    kitschy African 3.jpg kitschy African 4.jpg
    https://www.touchofclass.com/search.aspx?ss=masai

And this one is available on Amazon for $28.53 + $3.30 shipping:
    kitschy African 1 (374x640).jpg
    https://www.amazon.com/ZfgG-African-American-Handicrafts-Sculptures-Anniversaries/dp/B07ZQ97XSJ

As you are wanting to resell, it might be helpful to know that some people will like such figures. Some people will consider them gaudy caricatures of fantasy "tribal" people (imo).

The forum is named "Antiquers", after all.

14. Any Jewelry

And that is exactly what they are, there is no denying it.
    If people like them, fine, but that doesn't mean they are more than they are.

I like certain kitschy things, but will never deny they are kitsch, and will never be upset if someone else says they are kitsch. No need to sugarcoat it imo, nothing wrong with being realistic about kitsch.

dude, Potteryplease, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  15. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Sure. I might mention that I know a couple of scholars and artists who also collect kitsch. In particular, they have collected "route 66 kachinas" from the 1960s. These are, to be blunt, a perversion or denigration of Native American cultural items into tourist souvenirs; but when you put together a collection of hundreds of them, they also tell a story about American culture and attitudes of that period.
    Similarly, I've seen a museum exhibit about the "beckoning cats," maniki-neko; undeniably kitsch, but when explored in detail, much more than just that. The earliest one in the exhibit dates to 1655.
    http://nwasianweekly.com/2013/03/japans-beckoning-cats-visit-bellevue/

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    J Dagger, dude, Potteryplease and 3 others like this.
  16. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Cool! I like beckoning cats! I gave them as gifts one year, cheap restaurant counter ones!

dude likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted