Featured Keep hunting folks

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Mar 5, 2019.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

I had to post as soon as I got it, keep looking and look carefully and you might just find something nice. More photos and details when I get home later:

85E32C4F-E7FC-4E09-B973-8ED7A3D55894.jpeg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

good for you N8...but , that kinda makes me sad as well........

cxgirl, scoutshouse, judy and 3 others like this.
  3. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

All I ever find is sad looking silver plate, but I keep looking!

scoutshouse, MrNate and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

All hand work. One pound ten ounces.
    pers 001.JPG pers 003.JPG pers 002.JPG pers 005.JPG pers 004.JPG

5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

That's some beautiful silver!

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Oops. One guess - staff had NO clue what that is. You wisely didn't tell them. All I find is knackered silverplate, if it's not chrome instead.

7. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

8. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Turned out to be a great day for me, what's in the photo came out of three different stores and lots of other stores that didn't have the goodies. I had a question for someone too. I have the fork next to the carving knife and it has H&M stamped on the back and nothing else. I think this is from Hebbard & Moore and it's coin silver, can anyone confirm for me?

IMG_0641.JPG IMG_0642.JPG IMG_0643.JPG IMG_0644.JPG IMG_0645.JPG IMG_0646.JPG IMG_0647.JPG IMG_0649.JPG IMG_0650.JPG IMG_0651.JPG

9. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

good score Mr Nate:) thank-you for posting the mark in the goblet, I've never thought to look inside for the mark, but will do so now!

10. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

why does it make you sad?

Ghopper1924, judy and MrNate like this.
  11. komokwa

just thinking that those kiddush cps were once on a table surrounded by a family on the high holidays....reciting prayers....a glorious meal....the laughter of children...... is that were my families cups are going to end up one day.......
    :(:(:(:bigtears:

12. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Let's hope not...but you bring up an interesting point. I think that some of these items make it to the thrift store because parents and grandparents never mentioned what the item was, or the person clearing out an estate doesn't care. Personally, I take great joy in the finds, and in caring for them and bringing them back to their original beauty, so I can't find it sad because I almost never find out who owned it originally. To that end, carefully and slowly I brought it back to something of beauty:

IMG_0655.JPG IMG_0656.JPG IMG_0657.JPG IMG_0658.JPG

13. evelyb30

On the one hand, score! On the other, shame on whoever got rid of granny's kiddush cup. I've been known to rehome them myself, but have only found one silver one. That one was tiny, but pre-WWII; it went to a rabbi friend last Chanukkah.

14. komokwa

that's nice Ruth....& you do seem to find a lot of Jewish religious items...

15. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

WOW!:woot: It is now somptuous, and I really appreciate your care and loving attitute towards these once discarded treasures :)

16. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

When I read your post, I knew what you meant Komo. It is sad, but such is the way of life now.:(

Ghopper1924, judy, MrNate and 2 others like this.
  17. evelyb30

When I grew up, there were three synagogues in town. One in the town next door still has a big annual rummage sale. They turn up in estate sales too. I bought an olive wood kiddush cup at a family estate sale a few years ago. The daughter thought twice about selling it, but found out that the friend I mentioned was getting it and it went out the door. It's now a prized piece in their collection.

18. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Is that what those are called?? Kiddish cups? ADORE the design on that sterling one!!!:woot::woot::):):)

19. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

BTW, AWESOME haul, MRN8!!!!!!

MrNate likes this.
  20. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thank you thank you thank you Aquitaine! I’ve been staring at the cup all day.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted