Kentucky Primitive Sugar Desk? Secretary Desk?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Doug Shlonsky, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Doug Shlonsky

Doug Shlonsky New Member

Hello, I’m hoping for some more information about a piece I picked up a few years back from an old estate in central Kentucky (Harrodsburg area). My best estimate is that it’s a dovetailed, slant-top desk, atop a cabinet from the late 1800s, but that’s just a guess. The top and bottom appear to be matching (based on wood & locks). Also, the inside is painted a burgundy color, (see the drawer removed from the inside) so someone likely stripped the paint on the exterior at some point I would guess. I’m looking for information about what exactly it is, time period of its manufacture, and possible value. It’s one of my favorite pieces of furniture but I know nothing about it! Thanks! D692137D-B041-43EA-BFB4-000BB892331D.jpeg 1DE26722-0CA6-49BD-A659-9ADC7D7A458F.jpeg

scoutshouse likes this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME to ANTIQUERS, Doug! I see the dovetailing, but how do you come by 'slant top'......did someone change the top?? Can you post more images of the inside, back, bottom......I'm just the first that would probably ask that question!!! Thanks!!

judy, Any Jewelry and scoutshouse like this.
  3. Doug Shlonsky

Doug Shlonsky New Member

AFBE3EEA-8201-49FD-90A0-6760CB2A1FA6.png E2349174-9102-4028-9F76-923B3F2D49DD.png 6F1E0746-2CBF-4E7B-B098-252462573B17.png 2BC38250-504C-4B51-9383-3AF036FA08F6.png B5D0DFB6-AF9A-4FBF-ABE4-46161E574FB5.png 7AC8A1A0-7AB0-400F-9AED-3672B605EE0D.png ED92B300-A7DD-4F43-AF28-B6FB9F457494.png 88D8D080-DA8B-49F8-8B3A-CACD4C4B09FD.png Thanks for the welcome and for the reply! Here’s some more photographs from different angles, as well as the hardware assuming it’s original. (sorry about all of the junk in there....)

judy, Any Jewelry and scoutshouse like this.
  4. Doug Shlonsky

Doug Shlonsky New Member

41EE3BA3-F27E-4173-BCED-435BDA69859A.jpeg Here’s one of the back.

judy and scoutshouse like this.
  5. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

ummm - in your own words, what's a sugar desk? :)

Welcome, @Doug Shlonsky

judy likes this.
  6. Doug Shlonsky

Doug Shlonsky New Member

7. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Something not working there...

judy likes this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Thanks for the added images......in your first two, I couldn't see any slant top at all!!!! To me, looks like it has some nice age to it, but I'm NOT the best expert here by ANY means!!!! And it's kind of hard to see the small images....bigger (but under 1 MB!) is always better!!:smuggrin: Putting a shout-out to a couple of others..... and BTW, EBTH, if I remember correctly is one of the sites famous for outrageous prices......someone correct me if I'm wrong, please!!!!!
    Now, @verybrad, @James Conrad, and I can never remember the copious others.....but they're out there!!!!:):):)

9. Doug Shlonsky

Doug Shlonsky New Member

Figtree3, scoutshouse and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Doug. That is a nice sugar desk, and thanks for the explanatory link, we don't have them here in the Netherlands.

Another person to tag is @Jeff Drum .:)

scoutshouse and judy like this.
  11. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Hmmm, i don't think a sugar desk & it's not a slant lid desk either. Guesses mid 19th century, the small photos are very small, hard to see much, a lectern maybe or school masters desk?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  12. James Conrad

LOL, well, same state yes! but similar shape/form, no. The sugar desk you posted is in a slant lid desk form however, if you notice there is a deep well under the lid to store the sugar, yours has no "well".
    And because of dovetailing, i would not say "primitive" either, yours was built by someone who was skilled in woodworking.

13. Doug Shlonsky

Doug Shlonsky New Member

Thanks for the info!!

My initial thought when i saw it was a lectern or podium but the back of the piece being rough and unfinished leads me to believe it was never meant to face outward?

It’s always puzzled me, which i suppose is part of it’s charm..

14. James Conrad

Figtree3, judy, komokwa and 6 others like this.
  15. Doug Shlonsky

Doug Shlonsky New Member

KikoBlueEyes and scoutshouse like this.
  16. James Conrad

No problem, although the similar example doesn't show back, i suspect it's not finished either as you can see daylight between backboards when cabinet doors were open.
    These were utilitarian type furniture forms, it's doubtful they cared much about the back.

judy, komokwa, Darkwing Manor and 2 others like this.
  17. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Nice piece. I think James has nailed this. Agree with the dating as well.

judy, komokwa, Darkwing Manor and 3 others like this.
  18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

good one James.....:happy::happy:

judy and James Conrad like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted