Featured Keris handles questions about age and name

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Lark, Nov 27, 2022.

1. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I inherited these two Kris handles my parents picked up in Indonesia. I am trying to record what I learn about them for my daughter and Granddaughters. Wish I asked more details while my Dad was alive. I assume these characters have specific names. IMG_20221127_130452197 (1).jpg IMG_20221127_130444833.jpg IMG_20221127_130430883.jpg IMG_20221127_130425185 (1).jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

@Any Jewelry ......... is our resident expert !!

and more !!!!;):kiss:

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Any spells it "keris" - spellings sometimes help in searching for information. Then again, some misspellings have become so common that those work too. Not sure in this case.

Any Jewelry and Potteryplease like this.
  4. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Thanks . I think I knew that but when Google didn't correct me I thought it was okay.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Kris is fine, it is the Dutch spelling, which is still used in some international circles.
    Keris is the Indonesian spelling.
    You may remember from your days in Indonesia that there is often a slight hesitation in the first syllable of a word when pronouncing it, the 'hidden e'.
    So k'ris, which the Dutch heard as kris, but the Indonesians wanted the ' to be present in the spelling.
    Not all Indonesians pronounce it with a 'hidden e', some pronounce it like the e in personal.

Back to the hilts.;)
    The first one it the handle of a sirih crusher or betel nut crusher. It is very charming. These handles are often carved as funny caricatures, real folk art.
    It could be Javanese, but sirih crushers are not my area of expertise. I know the most beautiful ones are made in Lombok, but they are usually more intricate, with one man carrying another, etc.

The second one is a beautiful antique keris hilt from East Java. It represents Nara Singa (Narasimba), a Vishnu reincarnation with a lion head. Nara Singa protects in times of need, and is known as the great protector.
    The lower part of the hilt would have had a Madurese style hilt cup, a straight sided one that looks like a very small drinking cup. It is late here, I'll see if I have a photo of one of my Madurese hilt cups.
    East Java has influences from both Madura and Bali, together with their very own mix of cultures.
    Could we see the back please?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
    aaroncab, Figtree3, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  6. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Here are the backs AJ and one more question. When i saw the Lion in the sunlight I could see the material is translucent. Are these carved out of Horn? You mentioned Lombok and Java. My parents spent much time in both places while living in Jakarta. They especially liked Lombok and brought many items from there.

backkris.jpg keris back.jpg

komokwa likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I was wondering about the Nara Singa, and yes, that sounds like buffalo horn.

I think the sirih crusher is carved from wood. It could be from Lombok, but I have also seen 'little guy' crusher handles from Java.
    Many people prefer Lombok over Bali. Fewer tourists and more authenticity. Quite a few Dutch Indonesians I know have settled on Lombok.

I haven't found a photo of the hilt cup I mentioned. My Madura keris photos need to be organised. I have started but there are so many.
    A lot of keris hilts that were made to fit in a hilt cup have lost the cup, so it isn't a problem. Your Nara Singa is beautiful as it is, a quality hilt, and very rare.

Potteryplease, komokwa and aaroncab like this.
  8. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Thank you so much AJ. We have started dividing up the family treasures. It was very emotional and difficult since there was so much. I was newly married and not much money when they moved to Indonesia so I never got to visit. My brother and one sister did live there. But for what ever reason they did not want them.

Draft saved Draft deleted