Keywords and type of rug? Hook rug? Age 1940's?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by *crs*, Aug 22, 2014.

1. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

I believe this is a hook? rug measuring 30x52. I think these are roses?
    Front
    [​IMG]

Back
    [​IMG]

Close up of back
    [​IMG]

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Carl,
    It is a hooked rug. I have two of them right here in the "computer room". It used to be the aquarium but the fish moved to the family room. Before that it was the spare bedroom. The office size desk bookcase chased out the bed and night stand.
    greg
    PS they are roses. I really like the ashes of roses color in the edging.

*crs* likes this.
  3. *crs*

Thanks Greg. Do you agree that I'm in the right time frame? 1940's

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

5. gregsglass

Hi,
    I know that mine are from the 40s as you guessed.
    greg

6. gregsglass

Hi SIS,
    The rug you have shown is also the same as Carl's. It is new in that it was never used but still old. These were the first "store bought" rugs that we used. All of our rugs were rag rugs that were woven and sewed by family members and friends. These hooked rugs were sold by the hundreds at Sears and such. My favorite was an eight by ten that I bought for 5 bucks at an estate sale since it was covered with 3" of collie hair. I washed it and used it in a bedroom for seven years. It sold for 200 bucks. This was in 2005.
    greg

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
    *crs* and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  7. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I love that rug. My bedroom is the Rose Room,LOL...I have drapes with tons of roses,and lots of rose porcelain,etc. All the rose stuff I collect must be is the Dusty Rose color. :cat:

*crs* likes this.
  8. gregsglass

Hi Shiloh,
    Dusty Rose just sounds passe' use Ashes of Roses.:D:D:D:D:D:D
    greg

*crs* and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  9. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I never heard of ashes of roses but I like it better than dusty,LOL

10. gregsglass

Hi Shiloh,
    Dusty Rose was the end all name in the 70s. lol
    greg

11. *crs*

Hi SIS, the rug you posted a link to looks like an older rug that hasn't been used. In the listing they do say origin unknown.

Hi Shiloh, It is a very nice old rug. It does have a couple of minor pulls. Nothing serious. I'll be listing it to end late Labor Day(Sept 1st). Have to do a little more research as to price range.

Thanks for the info Greg.
    We bought a 5'x7' Capel Rug that was made in 2002 for $5 at a yard sale a couple weeks ago. Capel rugs are out of Troy, NC are a little spendy if you buy from them.

12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Dusty Rhodes was the name of the Andy Griffith character in "A Face in the Crowd" (1957), a pretty good movie. (Also the name of a professional wrestler and a football coach.)

*crs* likes this.
  13. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Ah, but Ashes of Roses............the shade of the dress that Meggie was wearing when Father Ralph de Bricassart realized that he was in love/lust with her...............

14. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Lovely rug!

I had a similar one that I purchased new around 1985. I don't know if the construction was the same or not.

*crs* likes this.
  15. 6rivets

6rivets Active Member

I grew up with a large one of these, predominantly green, on my bedroom floor, a hand-me-down from some great-aunt. There was also a revival of these in the last 30 years. The Chinese ones are usually wool, and originally had an annoying scrim backing that bunches up and which a lot of people remove in frustration. The older ones are, I think, cotton or rayon yarn.

There's something about the greens in this one that bothers me. A little.

16. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

It really looks a lot like the one I had, except the predominant color in mine was a soft green... the green shade that was often paired with dusty rose at the time I purchased mine.

I don't have mine anymore, but I seem to remember the back construction looking like this one.

17. *crs*

Thanks for the help everyone

18. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

19. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

DARN, Mansons! You beat me to it!!

20. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted