Featured King Phillip 2nd

Discussion in 'Books' started by chrisC, Jul 10, 2017.

1. chrisC

chrisC Member

Have been gone a while but am back in full swing hopefully. Here is a piece i recently aquired 1591 (20 Jan) King Phillip 2nd letter to the Count of Buendia requesting he raise a militia and report back the # of troops raised and the cost. Also containes the counts reply saying no one would volunteer in fear or not being paid and/or being sent outside of spain away from their families.

In great shape for a 426 year document.

Chris
    mmexport1499669601696.jpg mmexport1499669599768.jpg mmexport1499669598066.jpg mmexport1499669603488.jpg

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Can't read a word of it ( !!!), but looks amazing!!!!

3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Was he known as Phillip the Feeble?

It's not so much that the vassal lord sends back back a perfectly reasonable letter saying no one wants to know because they don't really expect to get paid, or they may be sent somewhere nasty, but that the vassal lord thinks this an acceptable type of letter to send.

Were I AF the first, I'd be sending out enough of my household troops to do a bit of regime changing there, get a more effective vassal lord in place. Someone with a bit more taste for impaling people as an example to others and less of a taste for being reasonable.

At the very least, if they won't send troops I'd expect them to send enough cash to hire mercenaries to replace them.

moreotherstuff likes this.
  4. chrisC

chrisC Member

Well there is no way to know the response from phillip. He was actually phillip the prudent. During his reign spain controlled much of the world and was called the land of the eternal sun as the sun was always shinning on some part of his land. The Philippines was also named after him.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I was googling and it comes up as Philip :confused:. It seems very clean for something so old. Well preserved I guess.

6. chrisC

chrisC Member

Phillip 2nd. There were many phillips.

You can find some in good and some not so nice depends on their care

7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

(It comes up with one "l".)

Draft saved Draft deleted