Featured Klondike and Amberette

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by DeAnne, Oct 9, 2018.

1. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

Okay I just got these 2 tots unpacked but there are a couple of piece in their I don't recognize.

IMG_5210.JPG

IMG_5211.JPG

There are a few pieces of this one below in there not sure what pattern is on that one.

IMG_5213.JPG

judy, pearlsnblume and i need help like this.
  2. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

tots / totes that what I get for trying to type without glasses on and very tired.

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I thought it was like a tot of gin.

4. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

Oh and this one

IMG_5214.JPG

i need help and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

LOL

i need help, Bronwen and Pat P like this.
  6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

That looks a lot like Daisy & Button, so maybe Daisy & Button with Panels or something like that?

I have no expertise here, just inherited a lot of Daisy & Button. :)

7. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

A large percentage of your wares, the ones with Panels between the Daisy & Button, is Geo. Duncan and Sons' Elrose. Introduced in March 1885.
    I believe your third picture is "Big Button". You ought to be able to look that up.

The square ones are Dalzell, Gilmore & Leighton's Klondike, OMN NO. 75 with Amberette decoration.

8. Bronwen

Not having a clue myself, I'm certainly impressed. All you folks who can recognize patterns, when so many look so much alike to me that I can barely tell them apart, blow me away.

9. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Ditto, I have a really hard time with mostly clear glass items. They just don't click in my brain.
    I take my hat off (if I was wearing one) to all those here who know their stuff.

Bronwen and i need help like this.
  10. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

Thank you Big Button is correct

11. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Always wondered what my junk bowl was. Now I know it is a Dalzell,Gilmore & Leighton-Klondike pattern bowl made 120 years ago:):):)
    DSCF0001.JPG

12. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

LOL yep that's what it is you have got yourself a pretty nice junk bowl. I caught my aunt using a beautiful Rookwood vase has her pencil holder once.

13. Bronwen

I'm going to take the opportunity to get some guidance myself on the right search terms to use. Years ago, in a charity shop, I bought a glass lidded bowl with feet & installed it on top of my dresser, where it holds mostly watches, some small keys. When I'd had it for a while, I stumbled into one like it, except different color, that sold on eBay for a ridiculous price. I was of course all excited, & since listing gave name of maker, I set off to see if I could find one like mine. I look from time to time, but never have. Have never seen another one sell for so much either.

It is Portieux Vallerysthal's turtle (really a tortoise) with a snail on its back as a knob. They are easy to find, mostly in blue, mostly in milk glass. Mine is colorless & frosted. It's a mass produced item; doesn't make any sense that there aren't any others out there & at least one of them for sale. The terms I know to use are in this paragraph. Am I overlooking a descriptor when it comes to the color/finish?

i need help likes this.
  14. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I found a clear, but not Portieux Vallerysthal, also not frosted. Ill keep looking.

Bronwen likes this.
  15. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

Maybe the same reason the other one you saw went for a ridiculous price was the color. All though a lot of items may be mass produced that doesn't necessarily it was in that particular color. Maybe that why yours is hard to find. I am not sure about this company but a lot of other glass companies used the left over glass to make smaller items instead of wasting it. I would do more research into the company and see what they specialize in.

Bronwen likes this.
  16. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

cxgirl, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  17. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

Okay I just looked and they only used frosted glass on a few specialty pieces, I think that's why you can't find turtles like your out there, Although I could be wrong.

18. Bronwen

I supposed so, before I had done any looking. It was blue milk glass.
    I had found that in my poking around too, sometime in the past. Was surprised to see it listed as a butter dish since today they are listed as covered/lidded candy/bonbon dishes. The design has a venerable history. Thanks for finding it again, not sure I bookmarked it at the time.

i need help likes this.
  19. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

20. Bronwen

That's interesting. I know that when I look for colorless frosted I find surprisingly little stuff. Do you have a reference? Or is this a real live book, not the 'net? Does it explain in what sense 'specialty', as in only for certain stores or...?

Draft saved Draft deleted