Featured Knock off or antique?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Whittles308, May 30, 2023.

1. Whittles308

Whittles308 Member

Bought as a bulk estate sale purchase, in Texas. Unfortunately we have remodeled and need to get rid of some furniture but I have no idea if it’s of any value. And just wanted to make sure before I list it for sale on Facebook and someone buys it and coats it with paint!

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Looks old to me, at least from the early part of the 20th century.

3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Looks like Rococo Revival ca. 1860s

cxgirl, antidiem, johnnycb09 and 3 others like this.
  4. Matahari

Matahari Well-Known Member

would clearing up all your junk be a possibility before asking for help ?

aspi.gif

what's with all these posts" I'm only here to make a quick buck !"
    Do you actually like this chest of drawers ? is it your problem if some one paints it ?
    Grrrrrrrrrrr

Bakersgma likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

folks come here all the time looking for values......it is what it is !

antidiem, Ghopper1924 and Whittles308 like this.
  6. Whittles308

Whittles308 Member

I’m not here to make a buck. I bought this ten years ago, and it has lived in my home until our remodel. Actually was in my masterbedroom, so yes, I would say I have liked this piece. It just no longer has a spot to belong to in our home. What a CRAZY idea, I know. We are sorting through all our stuff that had been in storage for the past year, and yes indeed, my garage is a mess right now! If it was a nicer piece, I wouldn’t want to just chuck it on fb for some knucklehead to paint gray if someone else might appreciate it in its natural form. Sorry to ruffle your feathers but your assumptions are way off base! But thank you for going out of your way to critique my garage and provide ZERO helpful information!

Last edited: May 30, 2023
  7. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Interesting dovetailing on the drawers. I think 1900s or earlier. It's in nice shape. I would def try to sell it if I were you.

8. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Did I miss something?
    I'm not seeing that Whittles has posted much here at all...

Figtree3 and Whittles308 like this.
  9. Whittles308

Whittles308 Member

I thought the triangular shape was interesting too! I’m trying to clear out my garage as quick as I can but I hate the thought of older pieces being painted if they are in good shape and someone might like it in its original form, so I guess I will let it continue to take up space for a bit longer!

Born2it and antidiem like this.
  10. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

It was expensive when new.Quality is quality. This seems to have it .Id slap in on Craigs list or fee bay local pick up only. Id start at $500 and take $350.Its a very nice thing.

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

aaah, other folks....several new members asking values..

Figtree3, bluumz and Ghopper1924 like this.
  12. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

In my neck of the woods, I would feel fortunate to get a hundred bucks for this beautiful dresser. And I would sell it for that too..

13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Same here. Sad but true.

pearlsnblume, antidiem and johnnycb09 like this.
  14. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I think if you ask enough $ it's unlikely to be repainted. Ghopper (gave a date above) is quite an expert in this kind of thing. This description might help you also look for comparable sales.

It's a style that is a bit out of fashion for some people at this moment in time, but you might find someone who really appreciates a quality antique. Maybe ask for a higher price as a start, and then add, "taking offers if someone really loves this..." or some such wording.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  15. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

There was a local "antique" store here for about 20 years. The two owners would travel over to England and Sweden and buy busted up antique furniture. They'd bring it home, cobble together 'decor' pieces, slap on a coat of polyurethane and sell each piece for $1500-$2500 to home decorators in NYC. They made a killing and it always pained me to see, but, hey, those broken up bits were probably headed for the dump anyway.

Bakersgma and johnnycb09 like this.
  16. evelyb30

Better Decor than landfill. Some of those repurposed items may well have had a pile of work into them and the labor alone might have come close to justifying the prices.

17. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Its a personal thing but I loathe those pieced together wood pieces. Almost as much as I hated the distressed look in the 80s . I have seen them priced at crazy money,so someone is buying them.

18. evelyb30

Breaking perfectly good antiques up for the pieces is not a good thing. Using busted pieces is a great idea.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  19. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

You can usually tell old wood when you open a drawer or door. There's a distinctive smell to old wood. When it smells like polyurethane, you can keep it.

johnnycb09 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted