Featured Know anything about this locket?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Paige, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Paige

Paige New Member

I just bought this locket, its one of the first antiques ive ever bought and I would like to know if anybody can guess the brand/how old it is etc

il_570xN.595174916_6vpj.jpg il_570xN.595277707_eode.jpg il_570xN.595277705_dtc3.jpg il_570xN.595277727_5nir.jpg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the board.

To answer your question, let's start with what an antique is. Generally an antique is defined as something that is 100 years old. That being said your locket is not an antique.

I think this is a fairly recent locket.
    The porcelain flower, brushed metal make me think 1980s, maybe as early as the 1960s. I could be wrong on the time period.
    It is stamped metal, with a thin bale. So not a quality maker.
    It is attractive and you should wear it and enjoy it.

cxgirl, KingofThings and gregsglass like this.
  3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I thought the same with that metal treatment.

4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I think it is lovely -- and also agree that it is relatively recent. Not brand new, but maybe in the 1970s-1990s period?

SeaGoat and KingofThings like this.
  5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

My mother had a pin that would match and it was from the 80s.

SeaGoat and KingofThings like this.
  6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Paige, when you are looking for antiques, you need to do some research before buying. In general practice, an antique is something over 100 years old. For younger people, an item that is older than they are or was from their childhood is going to be considered 'antique.' For those of us born in the dark ages - pre 1960 - we have a different starting point. It's hard for us to think of things from our 20s & 30s as old enough for someone to mistake as an antique.

Another tip is that if an item is produced in mass quantity, it's not as valuable as an item that is made in smaller quantities. That means that even if something is older, it may not be as valuable. Antiquing is a hard business because there are exceptions to the rules. Only time and experience will help.

Draft saved Draft deleted