Featured Know the guy but don't know the girl...

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Miscstuff, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Picked up two plaster figurines today and paid $40 for the guy and $50 the girl.
    The guy is “Hercules the archer” and mine is more modestly dressed than most
    of the bronze versions I've seen although the bronze bows are more substantial than
    my wimpy one. The girl however is a mystery to me. Does anyone recognise her??
    They have both seen better times with the archer having a broken bow arm and right foot and the girl with major plaster chips under both armpits that fortunately can't be seen from the front. I think they are European (French/Belgian etc) and probably date from the thirties and might be by Gustave van Vaerenbergh although I can't find any marks. The archer has D.M. on the back. Anybody know who that is??

Data
    Female – 52cm High 8.6Kg
    Male – 52cm High 68cm Long 6.9Kg

Cheers
    Stephen

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.JPG 8.JPG 9.JPG 10.JPG

pearlsnblume, kyratango and judy like this.
  2. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Hi Stephen, Can't help with the girl, but the archer looks great. Nice find but where did you get him for $40? :)

3. Miscstuff

Thanks for trying. Both came from a local Adelaide auction house.
    Cheers
    Stephen

4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

A6C622D3-5D0A-4D8E-A3C2-AD7AEF05B9ED.jpeg Stephen,
    Is there an impressed number here?

5. Miscstuff

Alas it's chicken scratching. Had another close look everywhere and there is only
    the N200 and Depose marks.
    Cheers
    Stephen

i need help likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

could it just be....any girl..!

7. Miscstuff

Could be but most of these large plaster figurines are take offs of famous bronzes.
    Had hoped someone recognised the work but not happening so she with have to be just a pretty French girl.
    Cheers
    Stephen

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted