Featured Kookaburra made in England

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by jefferies, Dec 8, 2020.

1. jefferies

jefferies Member

I am curious to know when this kitsch pottery was made in England, and what company or companies made it. The photo of the vase is not the best, but gives the general effect.

The vase is thought to have been bought in Australia. It stands about 28 cm tall (11 inches).

On the base it merely states 'Kookaburra. Made in England'.

The photo of the marks on the base reminds me of a grumble attributed to an English immigrant to Australia - that even the moon is upside down. Well, when the word 'kookaburra' is the right way up then 'Made in England' is upside down. That's appropriate.

Any comments will be appreciated.

vase1.jpg
    vase2.jpg

cxgirl, Firemandk, antique85 and 3 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice pair of kookaburra's...
    transferware..?

cxgirl, LauraGarnet02 and judy like this.
  3. Dingleberry

Dingleberry New Member

4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

This is from December--what happened?

judy likes this.
  5. antique85

antique85 Well-Known Member

I just happen to see this post and I just happen to recognize the word Kookaburra. I believe the birds pictured on the vase are Kookaburras --"https://a-z-animals.com/animals/kookaburra/" : The kookaburra, often called the laughing kookaburra, is a large subgroup of the kingfisher bird. It is diurnal, meaning it is most active in the daytime."

The only reason I know about the Kookaburra is because one of the most wonderful happiest article I ever read is about an artist who builds a giant 15-foot tall Kookaburra that cackles with laughter to cheer up people in the pandemic: I know this is not related to antiques but I hope you don't mind if I post the link to this article: "https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...-tall-laughing-kookaburra-lockdown-180975084/"

[​IMG]

6. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
    Merry merry king of the woods is he
    Laugh Kookaburra, laugh Kookaburra
    How gay your life must be Ha Ha Ha!

Remember this old camp song?

That video is pretty funny, I would've laughed it the Kookaburra had driven past my house.

lovewrens, cxgirl, antique85 and 2 others like this.
  7. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Agreed! That bird makes me smile. Well done to the artist for doing something so ‘out of the box’ and positive!

judy, cxgirl and antique85 like this.
  8. antique85

Link to video of real Kookaburra who hops onto man's lawnmower for epic selfie. What a cute happy little bird bringing joy to everyone !!

< kookaburra3.jpeg

Queensland, Australia resident Jarrod Roberts was mowing his lawn when a friendly kookaburra decided it also wanted to help!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    judy, komokwa, cxgirl and 1 other person like this.
  9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

What a darling little bird!
    What lawn? Does anyone see anything green? :hilarious::hilarious:

bercrystal and antique85 like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They are indeed, as it says on the vase.;)
    We used to have a family of them in our backyard when we lived in Oz. They live in extended family groups, nice and noisy. They would scoop meat off your extended hand, even salami, which they would then proceed to 'kill' by hitting it against the garden fence several times.:hilarious:

11. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Oz is the Australian nickname for Australia.

Any Jewelry, bercrystal and antique85 like this.
  12. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I have the coins, my pics.

upload_2021-9-10_23-5-21.jpeg

upload_2021-9-10_23-6-2.png

upload_2021-9-10_23-6-28.png

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Google is not your friend!:happy::hilarious::hilarious:

BoudiccaJones and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I would indeed have been lucky if they sang to me, because they can't sing.
    Here are singing kookaburras, this sound is familiar to anyone in Oz (translation: Australia) with a garden or a park nearby:

Kookaburra eating out of a person's hand, not at all unusual in Oz, only ours scooped it from our hands in flight (their flight, not ours.):

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  15. antique85

:(
    I am so sad to read your comment. There was no attempt at sarcasm and I would never ever ever discredit someone. I was trying be upbeat and add a little light-hearted humor and be nice and say how wonderful the description in your post was and how lucky you were to have experience. It was very sad to read that you felt I was trying to discredit you and be sarcastic. Something I would never do. That is terrible. I am so sorry you felt that way. I requested that the post be deleted.

This thread was a real joy to me an attempt to bring and share some light-hearted joy and smiles but I am done .:(

16. Any Jewelry

Thank you for your reply, antique. It's OK, I'm sorry, I took it the wrong way. Sorry to have upset you.:sorry:

I just deleted part of my post.
    Friends?
    [​IMG]

17. Any Jewelry

I am sorry you added this after my reply in which I apologized. I genuinely meant it.

18. Any Jewelry

@antique85 , please check your inbox, top right hand side of the page.

antique85 likes this.
  19. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Misunderstandings can happen easily, hopefully everything has been worked out.

antique85 and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. antique85

Yes, everything worked out. I appreciate that Any Jewelry took the time to understand my intentions and the meaning I was trying to convey and to apologize. We are friends!!

freinds.png

Draft saved Draft deleted