Featured Kosta Boda Blue Satin Glass and Glitter Vase by Monica Backstrom

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, May 13, 2019.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I found this small vase today and was immediately attracted to its soft shape and opalescence. It also had a Kosta Boda tag. I didn't want to bother you all, because I figured it was new with all that glitter on the top. So I started searching using some search techniques that I have learned here and up pops a very specific Etsy add with the same vase calling it a Kosta Boda Blue Satin Glass and Glitter Vase by Monica Backstrom - Scandinavian Design Collectors Studio Glass. It says "From the 1970s and designed by well known Swedish designer Monica Backstrom, this is a sleek blue satin glass hand made vase, with a glittery neck." They say its made from crystal and glass. I think the glass is the glittery part and the crystal the bottom piece. https://www.etsy.com/listing/571376308/free-shipping-kosta-boda-blue-satin.

Mine also has the original label. They must have stuck it on good to last more than 40 years. It is quite small at 9 inches.

IMG_2129.jpg

i need help, judy and Bronwen like this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

Here is a similar approach to a vase attributed to her.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    i need help and judy like this.
  3. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Crystal is a term that has several meanings. One is colorless glass another is the EU definition 24% lead content. You would not mix the lead formula with the more common soda lime or no lead formula.

KikoBlueEyes and i need help like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

Fascinating. I just made an assumption. So it is really one type of glass with different treatments?

Last edited: May 14, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted