KWINK - anyone know what they were?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by evelyb30, Jun 5, 2019.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I found this in a pile of stuff. It looks like a watch winder and it's definitely a gold-filled fob. One side is marked KWINK, possibly an old news agency. The other is marked with 5 Ss. The pentagonal shape may have a meaning of some kind, but I'm not privy to that either. It's inscribed with someone's initials.

The KWINK I keep finding information on was a sketchy dating site, that went live a lot later than this watch winder did. A few published newspaper articles referred to a company of the same name back around 1910 as though it was a news agency, but that's all I found.

DSCF1711.JPG DSCF1709.JPG

ulilwitch and antidiem like this.
  2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

With the word KWINK, and the five S's, I'm guessing it has something to do with this organization at Swarthmore College:

SWARTHMORE COLLEGE
    For many years, the managerial organizational known as the Society of Kwink was active on campus, making valuable contributions to the men's athletic program. In 1951, Kwink established a trophy to be awarded annually to the senior man who best exemplifies the five principles of the Society of Kwink- Service, Spirit, Scholarship, Society, and Sportsmanship.

https://swarthmoreathletics.com/new...letic-department-announces-annual-awards.aspx

3. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

I remember using kwink ink for writing with in the UK many years ago but the first answer is the best one.

judy and komokwa like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

SWARTHMORE COLLEGE.....is that where Mama Cass was going to go ???

at 1:20.....

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I watched the rest anyway. Memories.:happy: And the car of course.

komokwa and cxgirl like this.
  6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

That was QUINK, I have a bottle in my bureau.
    :cool:

20190605_102433.jpg

komokwa, NewEngland, antidiem and 2 others like this.
  7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It does look similar to a phi beta kappa key:
    [​IMG]

komokwa, SBSVC and antidiem like this.
  8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

what a hoot that video is, thanks for posting it komokwa:)

komokwa likes this.
  9. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

duuh! grey haired day for me today. It is so long since I saw a bottle, I got the spelling wrong.

komokwa and daveydempsey like this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Swarthmore is probably the answer. It was in a random junk jewelry lot that turned out to have an old gold nurse's pin in it. Melted that, but not this obviously.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted