Lab/ Assay Equipment?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by nemosis, Jul 23, 2016.

1. nemosis

nemosis Member

IMAG1191.jpg Have taken entirely apart, no markings at all. Brass, Ebony Base, and cast aluminum (painted green). 5"w x 6"d x 4.25"h. When handle cranks, brass bowl drops against ebony base, then raises again. Brass bowl has a quick disconnect. Best guess is for separating particles of different masses or sizes?

Attached Files:

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

That's neat !!

Could separate herb from seeds !!!:hilarious:

3. nemosis

nemosis Member

Something like that. Everyone I know is stumped.

Complete lack of markings is confusing. Someone suggested a one-off, but awful lot of manufacturing effort for that.

4. nemosis

nemosis Member

Bowl doesn't have very much capacity. 3.25" ID. My guess is between 1-2 Fluid Oz.

5. komokwa

A one off looks good at first....but that block of aluminum was milled and shaped by a much bigger machine......!!!

6. nemosis

nemosis Member

exactly, not to mention the machining of the brass!

Someone else suggested that maybe is was a modular component of a bigger machine (hence the lack of markings), but that seems a bit of a stretch as well, as I can't find any evidence for that either (no attach points or wear marks. Seems to be standalone)

7. nemosis

nemosis Member

that brass was turned on a lathe, and then the knobs knurled...I don't know if you've ever tried, but that's a lot of work. Considering the precision of the machining, the manufacturer would have had to make a jig for that. Doesn't make sense for just one.

8. nemosis

nemosis Member

and the milling on the brass sliding parts doesn't say handmade to me either

9. nemosis

nemosis Member

If I had a decent closeup of the bowl, you could actually see the swirl marks that marks the path of whatever it held. So harder then brass, then?

10. nemosis

nemosis Member

that rules out a lot of precious metals, then?

11. komokwa

I'll keep lookin....

12. nemosis

nemosis Member

so maybe not assaying, unless they were some kind of gemstone?

13. nemosis

nemosis Member

Though the swirl marks are probably a course steel wool, at best..

14. nemosis

nemosis Member

Appreciate the responses...hope the weather is nice up there..

15. komokwa

it just cooled off and the humidity is down for tomorrow.....warm again after that.

If the bowl was scowered I don't think it held liquid.....

16. komokwa

17. nemosis

nemosis Member

me either...just mentioned the fluid oz's cause it was a measure of volume, and would give you a sense of how small the batches musta been...

Montreal was hot and humid today..? Sorry, I thought you were in Montreal, Can.?

18. komokwa

I am......but the weather broke a couple of hours ago !!!!
    Thanks !

19. nemosis

nemosis Member

Dude!!...Mass Respect!...You found it!....now I have to learn something new!...dang you! dang you all to hell!...

I'm kidding of course...good effing job!

How did you possible find it, if that's not a closely guarded state secret?

20. nemosis

nemosis Member

Draft saved Draft deleted