Featured Lace Lesson #12 -Norwegian Hardanger

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Northern Lights Lodge, May 16, 2020.

1. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

I thought I'd touch upon Hardanger today. Technically, it is a form of embroidery upon even weave fabric. Because it traditionally has areas of the fabric cut away; it does have a very lacy look.

Hardanger embroidery or "Hardangersøm" (named after a region in southwest Norway in the county of Hordaland near the Hardanger Fjord) is a form of embroidery traditionally worked with white thread on white even-weave linen or cloth, using counted thread and drawn thread work techniques. However, it is thought to have originated from the Middle East. From there it spread to Europe with ties to Reticella and Venetion needle laces.

Fairly straightforward as it is worked on even weave fabric; stitches must be counted. As the design progresses and areas are cut away; the finer filling stitches may be applied. Traditional Hardanger has typically been worked tone on tone.

Linens, table decor, curtains, and even some clothing items were well suited to this technique.
    hardanger1A.jpg

hardanger2A.jpg

hardanger3A.jpg
    Newer forms of Hardanger are including more innovative designs and are incorporating color. It's precision due to counted stitches and even work fabrics are stunning! I've also heard of it being pronounced Hardunger... but I don't believe that is correct.
    fancy hardangerA.jpg

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  2. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

Did you mean to say Norwegian instead of Swedish (Hordaland is in Norway)? If you meant Swedish, how did it come to acquire that name? (I'm not challenging you, just curious. My grandmother was from an island off the northwest coast of Sweden, although historically it was more closely associated with Norway.)

3. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

HA! I'm glad you asked! I'm wrong! YOU are 100% correct! I'll go change that and thank you for catching my error! I'm sitting here daydreaming and wasn't focused! I see I _did_ get it right in the body of the article... not sure it will let me change the title... darn it!

Thanks again! Leslie

scoutshouse and judy like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Spam reported.

Draft saved Draft deleted