Lace lesson 4 - Cut and drawn work

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Northern Lights Lodge, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

I thought to discuss how drawn work is made for the lesson today.

Ultimately, cut and drawn work is made of a single piece of fabric. It is a form of counted thread embroidery. This is usually worked on even weave fabric. Threads are removed from the warp (threads that go lengthwise) and weft (threads that go side to side) The remaining threads are grouped or bundled together into a variety of patterns.

More elaborate styles of drawn thread work use a variety of other stitches and techniques, but the drawn thread parts are their most distinctive element.

Hemstitching is perhaps the simplest of all "drawn work"... whereas, a needle and thread is utilized to draw together a few threads to create a little open area. Cut and drawn work takes that just a step further!

This sweet little piece measures about 6" square.
    IMG_2693drawnfront.JPG
    IMG_2694drawnclose.JPG In the above close up you should be able to identify thicker "bundles of thread" that move (roughly) up and down and side to side. These are threads from the original piece of fabric that have not been clipped away. They then have been "drawn" together with the finer thread in a combination of fancy work stitches.

The lower photo makes this much easier to understand as it is a white fabric and the white threads are part of the original fabric; whereas the yellow threads are the added threads to make the "drawn" part and the fancy stitches. This example is also approximately 6: square and is very very fine.
    IMG_2703yellowdrawn.JPG
    IMG_2704yellowdrawnclose.JPG
    It is interesting to note here; that at the intersections of the single yellow threads (also on the first example); where the single threads meet, they joined together with a "knot" much like our handmade filet lace.

However, in this form of lace, the knots are not worked with a "shuttle needle" and "gauge stick" as in filet; these are made with a loop of the thread and a needle. The result is virtually the same at these little intersections... as they form a tiny knot.

In these two examples, however, the thread is so fine that although visible under magnification; they are almost impossible to feel with the fingers.

Another interesting thing to note are the little solid "squares" that are in groups of 5 in the yellow example... and the 4 "fanblades" on the pinwheel shapes in the white example. They both have that "lobed" look that is found on the "leaves and tallies" in the Bedsfordshire lace (and other laces).

Although the result gives the appearance of looking the same, and in fact, the threads take the same path - the design element is actually worked differently. In cut and drawn work (and other needle worked laces); this design element is worked by utilizing a needle and thread. Where as; in bobbin laces, bobbins are utilized manipulate the thread to make the design element. The result is the same - no matter how it is worked.

Ultimately - one thread is woven back and forth - going over and under three (or more) stationary threads...creating a woven appearance.

I didn't draw on these photos today; but I think my commentary may be clear enough. If not; let me know and I'll add another photo with drawing.

Enjoy your day!
    Leslie

Draft saved Draft deleted