Lace lesson #9 - Same design - machine vs hand

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Northern Lights Lodge, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Hello to all,
    Hope you had a good weekend!
    Continuing on... I had the opportunity to show you these two identical patterns.

Reflecting upon what we've discussed, and applying what you have learned from previous lessons re: "general appearance", following thread paths, construction of the "footing edge" (straight edge) and picots... what can you determine from these two "same pattern" laces?

I apologize that the bottom photo is a bit blurry. It "looks" clear till I get it posted! Grr!
    IMG_2717slip2.JPG IMG_2718b.JPG IMG_2719slip4.JPG

I have an additional machine vs. hand "similar pattern" case study below.
    IMG_2735scallopllace1.JPG IMG_2737scalloplace2.JPG

IMG_2736 (2)scalloplace3.JPG
    When studying these two patterns. They are similar; yet not identical.
    They both have an "open footing edge" (not solid and cloth like).
    They both have a "picket fence" style scalloped edge.
    They both feature a 6 petal motif.
    They both have "more or less" a triangular solid/cloth like shape between the footing edge and the petal motif.
    They both have a picot edge.
    You can generally follow the thread path in both pieces.

They both look very "messy". So what is going on?
    The top piece has a classic machine made look to it. Even through the threads may actually be woven; the tension is a bit off for handmade.

In the bottom lace photo...with my big finger in it. The lace is not well made. Stitches are irregularly spaced. This may be the result of a poor pattern; and/or the result of an inexperienced lace maker. You should be able to see several threads coming out of the body of the lace in several places. These are tell tale. These threads are the ends of "new" threads or the ends of "old" threads which have not been woven in yet to be hidden... or the end of a broken thread that hasn't been hidden yet.

These are just good study pieces to realize the difference between hand and machine made pieces.

Till next time.
    Leslie

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Thank you for all of these lessons. I haven't been able to keep up with reading them, but I'm very happy they are here!

Northern Lights Lodge likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted