Featured Lace Tablecloth or Bed Cover?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Marie Forjan, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Hi all, I was given the pictured lace piece to try and sell and have questions. I read through all the pinned lace threads, but it is such a large area of research that my head is spinning. I would appreciate any help I can get.

It measures 75" x 82". I don't know if it's a tablecloth or a bed cover or if it could be used as either. I'm guessing it's machine made but I don't know what kind of lace or when it may have been made. The person who gave it to me to sell has never been interested in antiques, she doesn't know its history and I'm just glad she didn't toss it or give it away.

I would appreciate any insight that is offered :). Calling @Northern Lights Lodge

Lace1.jpg

This is the center of the piece:
    LaceCenter.jpg Lace1Corner2.jpg LaceCorner1.jpg LaceCU1.jpg LaceCU2.jpg LaceDetail1.jpg LaceDetail3.jpg

Figtree3, elarnia, judy and 4 others like this.
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Looks like a tablecloth. A bed covering would have a satiny material underneath. At least my great aunts had a green satin underlay. Lasted one day on my bed until the dog found it laid on it and her claws tore it apart into shredded rags.
    greg

DizzyDaff, Figtree3, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  4. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

@gregsglass you always have the best stories of disaster - big and small! :):hilarious:

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

a life well lived......:happy:

6. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

It looks very pretty the way you have it displayed. In my opinion it looks like a tablecloth, old timey size, but I don't know squat about this kind of thing. Just what I think it is.

Figtree3, judy and patd8643 like this.
  7. Marie Forjan

Thanks everyone.

Greg, one of the reasons I don’t keep it is my kitty would make a wreck of it in short order :wideyed:

judy likes this.
  8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Marie,
    I had mine before the cats. If any of them got on it three seconds later it would have been gone also.LOL
    greg

judy likes this.
  9. Marie Forjan

Yep - cats! I’ve had cats since I moved out on my own 40 years ago and our present cat, Maggie, is very different. She has none of the bad habits my past cats had, she has all different ones. I can’t have a table cloth on any table, she runs right over and pulls it off. I lost a beautiful Cambridge console bowl that way :sorry:

judy likes this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It is beautiful! I hope it sells for a good price.

judy likes this.
  11. Barbara W. Preston

Barbara W. Preston Active Member

I would say definitely a tablecloth. Notice the oblong pattern and the equi-distance between the oblong area and the edge of the cloth. These distances show that it was meant for a table and the edges to all fall equally around the edge of the table. Had it been made for a bed the top, or one end, would continue the pattern to up under or over the pillow area. The bed toppers often had matching pillow shams or enough at the top to cover the pillows and tucker under a little. This was how she could always tell whether those crocheted pieces were for table cloths or bed spreads. Of course, back then there was only the double bed size to think about instead of all the queens, kings, extra longs, etc.

DizzyDaff, bluumz and judy like this.
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd call it a tablecloth too, but it's a piece of lace to be used as desired. My cat would kill it dead if it were on a bed. She likes to knead around up there with her claws out.

If I got an unnamed kitty, the name Shredder comes to mind! (old school Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtles character)

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. Marie Forjan

Thanks everyone!

OK, tablecloth, works for me. Right now I have an online show coming up at the end of March. Hoping I can get enough information to get it in the sale. Luckily I do have a dining room table large enough for taking photos.

Hopefully @Northern Lights Lodge will stop by with thoughts :)

Figtree3 likes this.
  14. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Hi @Marie Forjan
    Wouldn't you know! The first day in a while that I didn't check in right away! LOL! Well, maybe not tooooo late to the party!

First a LOVELY piece and in such nice condition! Yes, probably a tablecloth. But, that being said; I wouldn't discount bed covering entirely - or curtain!

In my experience, although they are out there; a fine netting table cloth would be somewhat unusual. Table cloths got rougher use and washed more often, than did "bed covers".

Pieces like this one were somewhat ambiguous in terms of use. They could and probably may have been purchased for either use. Any use of these fine net pieces meant that they were mostly for "looks" rather than heavy use.

Fancy fine net table covers were probably only used for an occasional tea; rather than Thanksgiving dinner. Fancy fine net bed covers were undoubtedly removed before bed time and fancy fine net curtains may have only been used more like a swag rather than a real curtain.

It is machine embroidery upon machine netting, with a little hand faggoting thrown in to link the larger openings together. I would hesitate to name it... as it is of an era when the manufacturer called it what they wanted in terms of specifics.

Still, it is a beautiful piece in lovely condition. If you plan to keep it; and use it... several suggestions. If you have it on a bed; it shouldn't go in bright sunlight; choose a darker room. Those fine fibers will degrade, even in very bright light.

If you are using it as a table cover - and plan on eating on it. I'd personally cover it with vinyl during a meal. Wine stains and gravy won't come out easily and scrubbing will undoubtedly break fibers. If it is going on a table just to look pretty; again... I'd try and keep it out of bright light - particularly sunshine.

That particular shape doesn't look well suited for window dressing - but - should you choose to use it as such... again...choose a window that doesn't get full sunshine. You'd probably need to make some sort of a casing of net to facilitate a rod.

If you are going to store it - acid free is best. Rolling is great; but difficult, given the entire width; so folding may be your option. It would be recommended to refold at least once a year or so - and use different places to fold.

Laundering - Plan in advance where you will dry the item, and lay out a clean sheet to facilitate a nice surface. Very gentle hand wash in a bathtub - woolite may be a good choice. Fold it to an appropriate size for the tub and use gentle up and down hand motions - using your palms to "agitate". Don't lift the lace out of tub when wet!!!!! Drain water (making sure lace is away from drain); rinse and repeat until all soap appears to be removed. When you are ready to dry; lay a large towel over the top and pat water out of lace... use more than one towel if necessary. When the lace is no longer dripping with water - lay on a fresh towel and roll up the lace AND the towel. Take the rolled lace to the prepared drying area - carefully unroll the towel. If it is dry enough to unfold easily... then carefully unfold as you can and more or less "finger press" to lay flat on the sheet. Make sure it is very dry before storing.

If you have any other questions... I'll be glad to answer what I can.

Thanks for sharing!
    Cheerio, Leslie

15. Marie Forjan

Thank you @Northern Lights Lodge for all the great information! I am not keeping it, I am selling it for a friend. I will print out all the information you gave and make sure it goes to the buyer.

The only other thing I would like to know is approximately when it was made if you can hazard a guess.

Again, thank you very much :):):):)

16. Northern Lights Lodge

I believe it is after 1900 - my guess would be circa 1920 - 30...

17. Marie Forjan

Thank you very much!!!

Northern Lights Lodge likes this.
  18. Northern Lights Lodge

Draft saved Draft deleted