Lacquer plaque with MoP: Japanese?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by lvetterli, Feb 23, 2020.

1. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

Hello again! Not sure if this should be in the art category or somewhere else, so I'm sticking it here. I found others like this in groups of 3 or 4, I want to make sure I describe it correctly. It is 4" wide and 10" tall plus 1½" brass hanger. The dress and body appears to be MoP but the face and hair are more creamy beige than white. Ivory? No marking on the back. There are no seams in the lacquer, it almost looks as though the whole piece was dipped in it before any decoration was done. I haven't tried to clean it at all, I'm scared to death I'll ruin it. Lacquer MOP tray (1).JPG Lacquer MOP tray (2).JPG Lacquer MOP tray (6).JPG Lacquer MOP tray (3).JPG Lacquer MOP tray (4).JPG
    Any info or advice is welcomed. Many thanks.
    Linda

judy likes this.
  2. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Most likely Chinese, not Japanese.
    Her face is ivory - you can see the lines.

Usually these were in sets of 4. They get separated over time.
    Hard to determine time as they still make them. Not as nice as yours though.
    I'm going to guess 1930s-50s. However wait for others to confirm.

judy likes this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Maybe one of the Four Great Beauties of China.

clutteredcloset49 and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted