Lacquered slag or what?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Kevolee, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm not sure if this is even considered pottery but I guess it comes close. It is a leaf design impressed on some sort of material that I can't identify. Somebody says it looks like lacquered slag, which sounds improbable, but I guess I can see that. I thought it looked amateurish until I took a close look. The glaze/lacquer is actually well applied and almost has a bit microcrystalline glaze look to it. If anyone can help identify or steer me in the right direction it will be much appreciated. IMG_2352.JPG IMG_2353.JPG IMG_2354.JPG IMG_2355.JPG IMG_2356.JPG

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  2. necollectors

necollectors Well-Known Member

I'll take a stab...Is it heavy? Size? I'm guessing it was a large flatten clump of clay, they impressed a leaf design into it, and then painted and fired the piece. It is a pottery technique.

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  3. necollectors

Or even a part of a larger statue that broke off, or was meant to be added on?

4. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

It measures about 5.25" by 4.5 inches and does have a little bit of weight to it for it's size, about 11oz. I don't see that it broke off from a larger piece.

5. necollectors

ok...then I am guessing just a potters play piece. Someone trying out a different style. We do it all the time!
    Looks like a Hydrangea leaf!

6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Maybe a Hosta leaf.

Bakersgma and judy like this.
  7. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Looks to me like a painted concrete leaf casting...

~Cheryl

Bakersgma, i need help and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted