Featured Ladies Gold Watch!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Maria Waters, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Hi - I am lucky to own this little gem of a watch that I need identifying please. Still working. The case opens and watch inside says Swiss Made, 15 jewels. The back of the inside case has the following markings: N, 9 in a diamond shape, LA in a shape, the number 375 and the number 422587. The strap has a few pat. numbers and the name STYLIC engraved. No manufacturers name! I would love some information if anyone has any idea. TIA
    IMG_0164.jpg
    IMG_0183.jpg IMG_0170.jpg

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It appears to be from the 1930s. Run of the mill Swiss movement, some value in the 9 carat gold scrap but not otherwise.

Bronwen, i need help and judy like this.
  3. Thanks afantiques! What about the 4 little gems in the movement? Would they be rubies?

i need help likes this.
  4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Yes they are Rubies but not worth bothering with, they are bearings.

Back in the day, watchmakers used natural genuine rubies to create these bearings and more recently, they adopted the use of lab-created rubies (also known as synthetic rubies). The purpose of these jewels is to act as bearings to various components in the watch.

I get quite a lot of these, unless exceptional, I scrap the case and sell around 4-5 movements as a job lot for spares.

5. Thanks DD - it is beautiful and I love wearing it :)

kyratango and i need help like this.
  6. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

It is beautiful, I couldn't scrap it, I'd wear it to (if I was a woman!)

7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

It’s an unusual face. Snakeskin texture? Very nice! Enjoy it! :)

8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The first lab grown rubies came onto the commercial market in 1909. They were small, & used mainly in watches. I suppose 1909 is 'more recently' compared to 'back in the day', but lest anyone think they were not already being used when posted watch was made...

9. Bronwen

The people who actually know watches will correct me if necessary, but think the 11 jewels you cannot see would also be tiny rubies.

I love that it runs (does it keep time?) & would wear it if it were mine. I'm a proponent of mechanical watches; we don't need all those little batteries ending up who knows where after they're thrown away.

10. Thank you! You are all so informative and I have learnt so much in the last week. :joyful:

i need help and kyratango like this.
  11. Yes it does keep time - but needs winding daily.

Bronwen and i need help like this.
  12. Bronwen

When most people only had one watch, pocket, wrist or pendant, they made winding it part of their daily routine, such as right before going to bed & just before putting on for the day. I imagine some watches only needed to be wound once a day.

Maria Waters likes this.
  13. I bit like charging our phones before we go to bed in these times!! haha. I have some pocket watches that I will post tomorrow. Off to bed now :singing: good night from Perth.

KSW and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted