Featured Ladies pocket watch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Puffy1971, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Puffy1971

Puffy1971 Member

I can't seem to find an approximate production date for this ladies pocket watch on the internet. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thank you. IMG_2545.jpg

IMG_2543.jpg IMG_2549.jpg

Figtree3, KSW and scoutshouse like this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I know nothing about watches but was intrigued by your post. While you wait for someone knowledgeable I did find this by looking up the serial number on an elgin pocket watch serial number site
    https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/search/result/elgin/2137101
    Understand please that this could be completely the wrong direction.

KSW likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The movement of this watch was not made by Elgin according to the marking on the inside but rather by Excello Watch Co. (whoever they may be.) The link instructions say to enter the serial number on the movement not the case - and the number used above was on the case. At least that's what it looks like to me.

@Puffy1971 What is the word above "Watch Case Co." in the first picture?

4. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

The case is for wrist wearing

Puffy1971 likes this.
  5. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

A watch like this with a revolving bale and a ring at bottom (which was mean to have a dangle or tassel) was worn with a watch pin:)

6. Puffy1971

Puffy1971 Member

It says Illinois.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  7. Puffy1971

Puffy1971 Member

My understanding of the site you posted, is you put in the serial number from inside the watch and not the cover of the watch. But that is what confuses me, bc on that website there is no Exello brand to choose from. But, thank you for trying...

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  8. Puffy1971

Puffy1971 Member

Interesting...I would never have thought of that. I'll check online what watch pins look like.

kyratango likes this.
  9. Bakersgma

Why do you say that, Terry?

kyratango likes this.
  10. Puffy1971

Puffy1971 Member

I kinda thought this too...

11. Bakersgma

Just in case (no pun intended) it should be noted that the Illinois Watch Case Co. was in Elgin, Illinois, but has no relationship to The Elgin Watch Co.

12. Bakersgma

KikoBlueEyes, Puffy1971 and kyratango like this.
  13. Puffy1971

Puffy1971 Member

You mean something like this?
    [​IMG]

14. KikoBlueEyes

I found some sites that discuss excello watches but people confused them with exello watch company so I figured that wouldn’t help.

Puffy1971 likes this.
  15. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Absolutely!:)

KikoBlueEyes and Puffy1971 like this.
  16. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Is it plausible that the dial has slipped around a bit?

17. KikoBlueEyes

Here is the information about the Exello Watch Co from the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors. "The Exello Watch Co. was registered in the US to Leon Lauter, or Lauter & Co., NYC. The mark was first registered in 1923, listed as having been in use since 1921. It was last renewed in 1944"

https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/help-identify-marks-on-watch-case.72711/

Puffy1971 and Bakersgma like this.
  18. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Is it plausible that the dial has slipped around a bit?

No, the dial is pinned to the movement. It possibly has that orientation as a compromise moving to ward a pendant watch with a completely upside down dial. This is no more than a guess.

It is a run of the mill lower grade Swiss lever movement in an American rolled gold (gold filled) case. The dial style says 1920s. This is consistent with the trademarke data for the case.

Many small companies imported Swiss movements and sold them in US made cases. I don't think any are of any significance, unless they were major players with watches as a minor part of their range, such as Tiffany or Black, Starr and Frost.

19. Puffy1971

Puffy1971 Member

That dial is different especially if meant for a watch. I just found this one on ebay which is very similar to mine but look how the numbers on the dial are displayed...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Beautiful-...68AAOSwu3ZcIR0L:sc:USPSFirstClass!78734!US!-1

20. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The transition from pocket watches to wrist watches in the first decades of the 20th. C. led to a variety of dial positions and no conclusion can be drawn from most of them, individual preference was catered for.
    The only real period marker was the red 12 dial on early wristwatches.
    People used to reading time from a pocket watch were so used to 12 being by the winder that it was taken for granted, the position of the hands, rather than the specific numbers they were pointing to, was enough.
    Wristwatches moved the winder to the side for convenient winding, so many early wristwatches had the number 12 in red to indicate where it was, as a reminder to read the new dial position.
    The red 12 fell out of use in the early 20s as most people had got the idea by then.

Arlene_V, blooey, Figtree3 and 6 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted