Featured Ladies table ? not sure what era, can you help please

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by tempusfugit, Dec 17, 2020.

1. tempusfugit

tempusfugit Member

IMG_1916.JPG IMG_1917.JPG IMG_1918.JPG IMG_1919.JPG IMG_1920.JPG IMG_1921.JPG Evening everyone,

I wonder if anyone can help me please. I bought this table many years ago because I liked the inlaid wood work on the top. I believe it could be a Victorian ladies table ? but I am not sure.

It measures 74.5 cm across
    43.5 cm from front to back
    and 71.5 cm tall

I believe the joints are dove tale. It has four draws to the front.

You will have to excuse my ignorance but that is all I know. I can find no makers marks on it and did not even know it was carved underneath before I took the photo's last week :facepalm::sorry:

I wonder if they made a mistake on one side and started again on the other ?

Sorry my knowledge is shameful but I bought it because i like it, nothing more.

Would be very grateful for any information you may be able to offer.

Thank you very much

Kindest regards

TF

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Could you please edit your post & choose 'show all as full size' please. Then we don't have to deal with clicking on multiple thumbnails. TY

3. tempusfugit

tempusfugit Member

Did that work Wiscbirddog ?

Kind regards
    TF

4. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

5. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

nice. the arrangement of the drawers looks rather Louis Philippe but eventually made in Italy with that black marquetry.
    not necesserally for ladies but as small side tables for writing hands.

7. pixieforpapa

pixieforpapa Member

Something about it reminds me of a Victorian card table for ladies that my GREAT Grandmother had (born 1900). ????

KikoBlueEyes and James Conrad like this.
  8. lelliott19

lelliott19 Member

Wow! That is incredibly beautiful! I believe this kind of table was referred to as a dressing table. I've seen some with one shallow drawer that goes all the way across. I've never seen one with such an intricate inlay or with the knee hole arch and lower drawers.

It's obviously old and all hand made. Looks to me like the maker was an artist and not necessarily a regular cabinet maker. See how rough the dove tails on the drawers look? And how he has pieced the backing pieces / braces inside the short sides? And the drawer guides look like scraps he picked up off the workshop floor. It seems to me a cabinet maker would have been more precise with these, while your artist was more focused on the aesthetics -- the intricate details of the inlay top. It's almost as if the base was built as a means to display the gorgeous inlaid top.

Very beautiful piece! Thank you for sharing it.

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A beautiful little table, TF. The top, and possibly the entire table, was made in Sorrento, Italy. My guess would be late 19th century.
    Sorrento is famous for marquetry (inlay), usually of small pieces. Sorrento table tops were exported worldwide, but complete tables were also made.

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Agreed, that top design is classic Sorrento ware. I've later boxes with it.

11. tempusfugit

tempusfugit Member

Thank you very much for the pointer to Serrento. I have done an internet search of Serrento ware but can't find any similar table tops.

I've searched French and Dutch marquetry with Dutch seeming to follow that style.
    Then I came across William and Mary Seaweed Marquetry which does seem very similar.
    I will try and post some pictures tomorrow.

Kindest regards
    TF

Ghopper1924 and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Maybe it helps if you search for Sorrento, with an o.:)
    The Dutch made amazing marquetry, but this doesn't look Dutch to my Dutch eyes.:wideyed:;)

Ghopper1924 and Bakersgma like this.
  13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    maybe someone took the sorry remnants of a French Empire style writing table and exchanged the top.
    one should not forget that the Italians were copying all 19th c. French styles directly at the time of coming into fashion.

14. Any Jewelry

That's what it looks like, and those tops were readily available.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  15. tempusfugit

tempusfugit Member

Thanks very much everyone for your help. You say these tops were readily available ? I can’t find a picture of anything similar, does anyone have a picture of one ?

Thank you
    Kindest regards
    TF

Any Jewelry likes this.
  16. tempusfugit

tempusfugit Member

Evening all,

I am still at a complete loss to finding any similar table tops. I would like to get a rough estimate for my home insurance, how would I go about doing this please ? Any help would be very much appreciated

Thank you

17. Any Jewelry

I am sorry, no idea, I just id things. Or try to.;)

18. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted