Featured Lady's gloves - very sheer fabric. How to describe?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by moreotherstuff, Apr 24, 2019.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Now I'm into an old suitcase (portmanteau) that is full of bits and pieces of fabric. I'm out of my depth. Not my field. This particular stuff not of particular interest to me. I'll photograph the few that strike me, but the rest I'll just pass along.

For instance, there's these gloves. A very sheer fabric. Is there a name? Or any other info? Measurements flattened: about 9 1/2" long by 2 3/4" across. Not particularly elastic.
    z.jpg

zz.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks like nylon which would put them in 1950s (to my eye.) Someone else may have different opinion.

Debora

antidiem, pearlsnblume, SBSVC and 4 others like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Could be. I wouldn't know how to tell. Here's a closer look:
    zzz.jpg

pearlsnblume and scoutshouse like this.
  4. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I'd call them sheer nylon summer gloves, dating from the 1950's into the 1960's. We used to have to wear them to church on summer Sundays when I was a kid.

patd8643, Jivvy, antidiem and 6 others like this.
  5. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

ditto! They look in great shape :)

Label?

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Their great advantage was they could be rinsed and quickly dried after each wearing.

Debora

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Nylon Summer Gloves they will be! Thanks. There is a label, you can see it inside the top glove along the upper edge, but it is totally blank. Maybe washed away.

scoutshouse and pearlsnblume like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

"with Pearl Button Trim."

Debora

9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I wonder if they might have been wedding gloves. That might explain their good condition.

I do remember wearing little white gloves as a child. Terribly impractical for the tomboy that I was but fashion dictated I guess.

When you said they weren't of particular interest to you I suddenly remembered a pair of gloves I stashed away because they aren't of particular interest to me either. Mine are old and from a famous fashion house so I really should do something with them I guess. Sigh....so much stuff...so little motivation:rolleyes:.

SBSVC, antidiem, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

They could have been wedding gloves but they weren't terribly expensive in their time.

Debora

11. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

If they were (are) wedding gloves for a bride to wear, they probably have not been worn by a bride for her wedding.

Glad this is the "antiquers" board because I'm going many, many years back . . .
    a bride's glove on her left hand "ring finger" is to have a slit cut into one of the seams so that the bride's groom can slide her wedding ring/band onto that finger touching her skin (not on top of the glove). The wedding band is "closest to her heart at/after the wedding."

scoutshouse and moreotherstuff like this.
  12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

That business of the ring being actually on the finger makes perfect sense to me. No slit in any of the fingers on these gloves. Nor can I think of any marriages in the family in the 50s.

I can't even tell if these are a size for a child, or an adult.

That's a big problem with this stuff. The portmanteau belonged to my grandfather, and is an accumulation of stuff that probably started with my grandparents, continued with an aunt, and then with my father. There was even one item in it that I added. It's a safe bet that all the stuff in it is family related, but the connections for all but a very few pieces died with that generation. It's where that little romper suit I showed came from.

Draft saved Draft deleted