Featured Lamp Base - Help Me Decide

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by KikoBlueEyes, Jun 11, 2021.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I bought this lamp base to use with a cool agate lampshade. Once I got the base home, I discovered it was covered in overspray, badly repaired and will need a lot of work. The question is it worth the work. Not aesthetically, I like it, but does it have intrinsic value as an vintage item.
    IMG_1081.jpg IMG_1082.jpg IMG_1083.jpg IMG_1089.JPG IMG_1084.jpg IMG_1086.JPG IMG_1087.JPG IMG_1088.JPG IMG_1079.jpg IMG_1091.JPG

2. KikoBlueEyes

By the way, the agate lampshade is being repaired. I'll ask you questions about it later, but it looks vaguely like this.

H0123-L90137910.jpg

3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

It's a neat little lamp, Kiko, but my personal opinion is, go for the redo.

It's really a shame that they didn't save the acorn pulls for the other two sockets when they replaced them. Those pulls are really cool and people really love them.

See what others have to say about your possible little project to be...

4. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you for your thoughts. I know nothing about lamps having mostly stain glass lamp reproductions. Interesting about the acorn pull. I didn't notice it until I was taking the picture.

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  5. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

You might try Restoration Hardware for more pulls.

pearlsnblume, Aquitaine, judy and 3 others like this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

So you think I should work with it. :) Thanks for the lead.

7. KikoBlueEyes

@verybrad Do you have any comments about this lamp base. I can't find anything similar.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

My initial reaction was that it was not old. On close inspection, I believe that it is indeed an old one. I think more secessionist than arts and crafts in design. The acorn pulls were used by Handel and a few others and are usually a sign of quality. The finish may well be original. You sometimes see a finish like this on Heintz. Like this....
    [​IMG]
    Any chance the raised lines on yours are tarnished sterling?

9. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks so much for looking. This is very exciting to hear that it may be an older piece and perhaps from a better maker. I took a close up of lines, and they appear to be painted (see below). I put a lot of light on it, which distorted the color. You gave me some leads on where to look. Thanks very much!

IMG_1098.JPG

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  10. verybrad

Would like to see the shade. Not sure that it would be original to the lamp. Of course, the finial is not original.

pearlsnblume, judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  11. KikoBlueEyes

It didn't come with a shade, just the base.
    I bought the agate lampshade at an earlier time, but from the same reseller. It is missing the central piece, which I am having made. I was looking for a base for it and I spotted this one. I'm not sure it will work size wise, but I am excited to have a non reproduction base.
    I am trying to see what may have come with this base, so I can find something to match. I agree the final is a replacement.

judy likes this.
  12. verybrad

Might look at Bradley and Hubbard. They did some green patina lamps, are known for similar iron weighted bottoms, and sometimes used Hubbel sockets.

13. KikoBlueEyes

Wonderful information!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have searching an no luck so far. I'll try these. You are terrific. Thank you very much.

Firemandk and judy like this.
  14. KikoBlueEyes

You were spot on. I tracked down an expert and this indeed is a Bradley and Hubbard lamp base!!!! 5 stars for you.

Jack Pap Antiques response:
    "Yes you have a Bradley and Hubbard lamp base. My guess is if you remove the bottom plate you will see a signature of some kind."
    Let There Be Light: Arts and Crafts Lighting Providers – Arts and Crafts Collector

15. KikoBlueEyes

16. verybrad

Believe the shade on the ebay lamp is a repro as well..... This is what it should look like. Note that the heat cap is separate from the shade.
    [​IMG]

17. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you. I wonder if this is what is going on with my agate lamp shade. It is missing the center piece entirely. I am having a lighting place add the center piece.

judy likes this.
  18. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

That socket looks to be a earlier Hubbell, acorn pull, pre uni-fitter and has the set screw for the sleeve (not a press fit) circa 1910. Those early Hubbell's usually sell for $25. each. The linear design of the base is a less often seen form in this era, but it does look 1910ish.

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  19. KikoBlueEyes

Drew
    Thanks very much for this analysis. I didn't have a time context for the lamp, just it's maker. I really don't know what to do with this lamp. I have a sense that I should get an appropriate shade and do some restoration on it rather than use to just to hold a totally distinct type of art shade. It's just that I have lamps galore, albeit all reproductions, but typical stain glass types. Mutter. Mutter.
    I appreciate the context you put it in. Thank you

judy likes this.
  20. verybrad

If it is an old shade, I would not have it modified. Better to find a different correct base for it. If newer, not a problem.

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted