Lamp pedigree.

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Iowa Jayhawk, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Picked this lamp up a few years ago as an afterthought. The folks I bought it from said it belonged to a relative of theirs who did missionary work in Southeast Asia in the 1950's, and were told this relative picked it up in Laos in the 1950's. I can see no marks on it, and have no idea what the design says about it. It is very heavy gauge brass, and the base is marble. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. IMG_3699.JPG IMG_3700.JPG IMG_3702.JPG

i need help likes this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I don't see anything to disagree with the time period you were told.

The brass looks like work done in India. Many lamps from that time period had marble bases. From what I can see of the plug, it appears the prongs are the same size. Here in the US that didn't change until the 1960s. Does Laos use the same 110 current we do here in US?

i need help likes this.
  3. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Thanks. I was wondering about India. I have no idea what sort of plugs they use over that way.

4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Laos was French and has the French Type E plug; receptables of this type accept German Schuko plugs and some two pin types as well. 220 volts.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I'm assuming you have plugged it in and it works.

Based on what Fid said, I think the people were incorrect in thinking that it was purchased in Laos.
    Their relative may have worked over there, but that doesn't mean the lamp was purchased there.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Or maybe they bought the urn there and converted it to a lamp when they got home?