Land deeds signed by Theodore Roosevelt

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Monte Stuart, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Monte Stuart

Monte Stuart Member

deeds2.jpg deeds1.jpg I am fairly familiar with the way this worked back in the day. As you can plainly see the signatures are both entirely different. Which leads one to believe maybe his secretary signed? I compared both signatures to online examples and to be honest neither one look like the real deal. Your thoughts or opinions.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    judy likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I think that's a reasonable assumption on who actually signed. Earlier (like 1830's) deeds from the General Land Office, often had the president's name preprinted on them and the only signature was the local officer.

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Even now, the blank after 'I' is for the name, not the signature. Forms now sometimes ask you to print. That space could be filled in by anyone with legible handwriting.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

5. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

As it is written on the deed "By the President" and underneath that "By F. M. M? Kean" who would have been the actual signer and local representative of the President concerning land transfers.

6. Tony Warren

Tony Warren New Member

Last edited: Dec 24, 2023
    Figtree3 likes this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

These documents were never signed by the president but by a secretary or other assistant. A dime a dozen.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted